got a new old bow, but its new to me.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by River_monster91, Sep 1, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well if my dang ol' cousin aint the best. he gave me a bear whitetail classic. its in really good shape for being an 18 year old bow. got a new string on it. need to put an arrow rest on it im thinking ill go with a wisker buiscit. its got a peep sight set up on it but the sights are ancient so im going to upgrade them to some type of trueglo sights. i think them deer are going to be in troble this year.

2. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    anyone got any info on this bear whitetail classic? i know it was made in 1990. would like to get some info on it.

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    What kind of info,

That bow set at 70 lbs with an 29 inch draw and a 590 gram arrow should shoot in around 190-200 fps, with an kinetic energy of around 48-50 ft lbs. Still enough to take an deer cleanly.

4. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas

thanks for the info. dont know nothing about the arrow weights but i will be shooting 100 grain broadheads.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    They made a gazillion of the old bows. I had one i fished with and give it to a neighbor kid. Not much let off but they shoot hard enuff to take deer. If your planning to hunt with it invest in a set of Sim's Limb savers. They will help dampen the sound. One other thing, talk to some who swear by a whisker bisquit and others say they eat fletching like a paper shredder. If your just starting out do yourself and the deer a favor. Practice every chance you get, and then shoot it some more. Good luck and may Fred smile on ya while in the woods.:roll_eyes:

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I agree with countryhart. Practice practice practice. Dont take any shot that you are not conifident in taking. IMO nothing worse than wounding a deer and not being able to find it.

Tom

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know a lot of peole love the newer quick spin vanes well a whisker biscut will eat those cause of the wing on it , for lack of a better word. I started with a tm hunter rest and shot it about a year and switched to a better bow and to the whisker biscut and havnt even thought about switching rests. But its all personal preference , Plus a buddy of mine that used to work at a bow shop told me that if your whisker biscut isnt propperly lined up thats why it rips off the vanes so if you start having that happen try tp tune it more before giving up on it

8. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    well yall. got rid of the ol' bear and got a newer PSE spyder. set up with a 55# draw weight and i beleive 29 '' draw. got a wiskerbiskit and PSE sights. also got a stabilizer on her too. any ideas how fast she be flying?

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    First of all, to determine the speed, you'll need to know the arrow weight. Anyways, speed isn't everything! Accuracy first! To really find out the speed of your setup, you will have to shoot through a chonograph. I'm guessing you'll use an arrow that weighs around 420 to 450 grains combined weight. With the poundage and your draw length., your arrow should fly at approx. 240 to 250fps. That's just a guess. I'm not sure what type of cams came with your bow. Anyhow, it should be sufficient enough to kill a whitetail of even bigger game, presenting the shot is lethal. Accuracy kills! Speed helps, but the heavier the arrow, the better the penetration!!:wink:

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Keep us informed how it works out for ya.

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Checked out the PSE specs on your bow. Listed IBO speed is 277-285 fps. That's at 70 lbs., 30 inch draw, with a 350 grain arrow. With your setup, your looking at approx. 225 to 235 maybe. Slow, in todays standards, but still effective to say the least. Your bow was made in 2006. Only 3 years old.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Sounds plenty fast enough to get the job done. Make sure your broadheads are sharp, real sharp. :wink:

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sounds plenty fast enough to get the job done Yes sir! Considering traditional bows shoot at only 175 to 200 fps and get the job done in a fashionable way!! Fred Bear made it look easy!!

14. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    i know its getting better penetration with field tips in a foam target than a bear whitetail set at 70lb draw.

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    It's all about the cam design and how effective the limbs can store energy. They keep getting better over the years. Old vs. New? No contest! The new will win every time. Accuracy, Forgiveness, Speed, Weight, grip feel. Today's bows are awesome!!