Got a new lab puppy

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by quackkillsduxs, Sep 10, 2006.

1. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    i gotta a new lab puppy over the summer. yal got any suggestions to help make her any good

2. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Joseph,
    Spend alot of time with her, and find a good training guide, books, dvd, etc. The one I like best is Richard Wolters book, Water Dog. It is very easy to read and follow for novices, like us. I have had very good luck with it. Check it out if you get a chance!! Post some pics of the pup, if you can. We would love to see her!! Have fun and Good Luck. Let me know if you have any trouble finding the book. I may have an extra copy laying around.:big_smile:

3. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I will second that tip about Water Dog (the book). I have trained several Labs by using it. Its easy to follow and it works well. Good luck. Your in for a lot of fun.

4. minnies_moocher

minnies_moocher New Member

State:
    Coldspring, Texas
    Most of all give it lots of love. And make sure you have a place for it to play in water. Good luck. Post some pictures would love to see it.:big_smile:

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Those are great books also Training the working retriever, by john and amy dalh. But if you want a duck dog get the tape by mike pind, down to earth and made by a great trainer, for hunters.

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Congratulations on the new dog! I ain't got any tips for ya though. I've never used mine for huntin'. Just for a companion. And labs are excelent for it!

-Red

7. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Good Luck With Your Pup, She'll Make A Very Good Dog For Ya

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I agree with a lot of what has been said by some of the other guys.

Just spend a lot of time with the dog and make it want to go pikc up ducks. All the dogsd I hunt with are so excited to go hunting and fetch our kills it really adds to the experience.

9. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    " Retreiver Journal " published a training series by Mike Lardy which has proven to be a great program.I have trained several labs using his methods and I have seen alot of hunt test and field champions trained using his methods.
    He tells you to start pups at seven weeks old but you can start older dogs just remember that where he is saying a dog of 2 or 3 months should be doing certain things you may not be there at 6 or 7 months old but be patient and you can have a great hunting dog.

Hope this helps you if you can not find the articles and want more
    info let me know and I will try to get the info to you . You may also
    be able to join a retreiver club close to you which should put you in
    contact with alot of experienced trainers.

10. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    thanks yal shes a decent puppy i just wished i could get more excitement out of her but maybe it will come. we did obedience training and that helpd a little but shes still really hard headed and it makes me pretty mad at times but i no shes a puppy. ill try and post some pictures but i never have had any luck gettin pictures on here

11. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Hey Joseph,

I got a new lab pup in June. Didn't start training until the end of July when she was almost 5 months old. I was concerned because he didn't show a lot of excitement either. For some reason though, he started getting really excited around mid August. Maybe it's age I don't know but I would think with a little more age your pup will start showing that excitement too. Water Dog is an excellent book. Also, the Gun Dog magazine website has some great material. It's gundogmag.com

Paul

12. quackkillsduxs

State:
    madison mississippi
    what do yal think about shock collars

13. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.

They have their place and I use one alot but you have to make sure that you collar condition the dog the right way and use minimal pressure to enforce commands.Many people feel that they are going to teach a dog with a shock collar but when a dog does not know what you want he has no idea how to respond to the collar. Never assume that the dog has learned commands but make sure he knows the command before enforcing the command with a collar. I also suggest purchasing a good quality collar not just a cheap run of the mill collar Tri-Tronics and Dog-tra both make real good units.
    Remember it is easy to ruin a good dog with improper e-collar use (Mike Lardy has a real good section on collar conditioning )
    Hope this helps

14. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    we just got a new lab / something pup this year too he was a runt of the litter just a little guy sharp as a whip and gets into to everything loves to retrieve antlers but i dont think he would make a good duck dog hes about as big as a duck, a duck with long legs lol i will try to post a pic

Attached Files: