Got a new bait catcher!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by dearl, Jul 5, 2007.

1. dearl

dearl Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey, just found a new way to catch shad. I have been using a 6' cast net for years, and actually got pretty good with it, but over the years catching rocks and stumps just wore it out. I broke down and bought me a 8' net and man this thing gave me a fit. I can manage to open it enough to get some bait but not all the way. Well me and a friend were in the yard trying to figure this thing out when my son says to me i can throw that thing. So i figured well he can't hurt nothing, and i'm tired anyway so i let him, he curled that thing in all kinds of direction and wam, it opened up perfect, and throw after throw was just like that, so i figure hey all i gotta do is take him every time ( he goes everytime anyway) and let him catch the bait. He gets more of a kick outta all the other stuff you catch other than bait anyway. I even caught a 18lb striper in mine last week, of course it went back. But if any of you guys have kids that like to fish, by all means encourage them, it only gets better. Who knows maybe they will be the next Bill Dance or Hank Parker. See ya.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    good post david. i remember my dad telling me i wasnt going to catch nothing in that thing....lol. now its throw it right here and throw it right there and try right here....lol. i have to watch him though. he can find a stump.:smile2: i bought him a new betts cast net for christmas a few years ago and now hes getting picky about where to throw his at....lol. i bet you thought you was getting a bite with that striper in the net.:wink:

3. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    Thats pretty cool David. I wish I had my own personal bait catcher. By the way, how old is your son?

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    David you are going to have to share this technique with me!! I am the worst person when it comes to throwing a cast net!!

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    is he for hire??? lol i couldent throw a castnet to save my life

6. Catfish_Hunter88

Catfish_Hunter88 New Member

State:
    Raleigh, North
    Great post. What is the technique? I destroy cast nets

7. wampuscat1

wampuscat1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i still havent learned how to use one of those things i have one on the boat but thats about where it stays!!!!!!

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I got a 10 lb. striper in mine this spring and a 15 lb. carp. They are rough on a net and a little rough on the arm when you are trying to get it up!