Got a motor but dont know what to do with it ! help??

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Montgomery, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i bought a 14 foot semi v bottom 1968 alumacraft. it came it a 3 h.p. evinrude motor. it had a trash bag duct taped around it. i hadn't even looked at it until i had the boat home. but once i took the bag off. the motor looked great. looks like it should work, lol. no i have no boating experience . and no , no how of motors auto or boat. not even sure what type of gas goes in it . hopeing you all could tell me . but cant i ruin it somehow . by trying to start it out of water. is there any advice on that things i should do to this motor. and whats the proper way of doing things . i would love to use it . but i dont want to take it to a shop either . to much money . any tips or advice for a new guy, not wanting to blow up his new used motor. thanks mike

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You may be able to start the engine out of water if it's air cooled. Some of the older smaller motors were air cooled. However, you're right if it's water cooled you could mess it up big time if you run it out of water. I'm not much help as far as getting the thing started if it's not running but I just thought I'd give you my 2 cents. Oh, and I bet it's 2cycle so you need mixed fuel to put in it.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    First off Mike look on the transom bracket . that is the bracket that holds the motor on the boat and there will be a data plate with two sets of numbers on it. I need the model number to see how old she is and then we can figure out what fuel mix you will need.
    By no means start that engine out of water or on the muffs either one with out the proper mix.
    What you can do is take the spark plug out and squirt you a little TCW-3 oil in it and roll the engine over by hand useing the pull cord to oil the piston walls up before starting it.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Agree, you would want to make sure on the cooling type, if it is water cooled you can buy different types of (muffs) that slip over the water intakes and hook to a has to run it while tuning or what not, also on a smaller motor (my 25hp merc) I just take the prop off and lower it into a tub of water (old barrel) filled up, You will get a better answer if you can post the model and year of it? may also find your answer under the tip help there are several different items in there.....GOOD Luck with it

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    First things first. You have to decide if your going to invest money into the motor and keep it or invest just enough money to get it to run. If you believe it is a permanent fixture for your garage, the first thing you should do is obtain a service manual for that particular motor. Think they run around forty bucks. You may be able to find a service/repair manual in your local library that will work on a temporary basis.

First, run a compression test on the engine. This will tell you a lot about the internal condition of the motor. Run dry readings, then put about a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder and run another test. Record the dry and wet readings. If your gonna keep the motor, you may want to record this on a piece of white tape and put it inside the engine cowling for future references.

If the compression is good, and the wet/dry reading is within 15 psi of each other, your cylinders and rings are probably okay. If the compression is way, way down, or the wet/dry readings are not close together, there is probably some internal damage to the rings or cylinder walls.

Compression good? Next test for a spark. Several ways to do this... best way is to find some macho guy and let him hold the lead. If you crank the motor and he picks himself up off the ground about 10' away, your getting spark. You could also try to ground the spark plug threads on the motor while holding the plug with insulated pliers. You should get a good arc on the plug...actually the spark should jump a distance of about 7/16 of an inch. While messing with the plug, check its condition. You may want to replace it as new ones are about $4.00 or less.

At this point you have compression and spark checked, its time for the manual. You need to check all the linkage for throttle, carbs, etc. Anything in that book gives you a check, make it. You don't need to be precise, just remember what checks there are to be made. You will need to disassemble the carburetor, keep the parts in order as you take them off so they will go back on in the right sequence. Once you have the carb broke down as far as you can go, soak the metallic pieces overnight in carb cleaner. I wouldn't recommend you put rubber, plastic or Bakelite components in the carb cleaner. After soaking overnight, use compressed air to blow out all the lines and crevices. Reassemble the carb using the instructions in the carb kit. You can try and save the $27.00 bucks by re-using the parts, but you generally get what you pay for. If you don't want continual problems with the motor, purchase a carb repair kit. You can get them at just about any automotive parts store (NAPA, Auto Zone, etc).

While the carb parts are soaking, read the manual as to how to remove the lower unit. Drain the oil from the lower unit and check it for metal filings by rubbing your fingers in the oil... you'll feel them if they are there. While the lower unit is off the engine, replace the impeller and water pump. These are very easy tasks and you don't have to be an automobile mechanic to do these things... actually nothing about the motor up to this point requires detailed knowledge or experience. If the prop has big chunks tore out of it, you may want to consider purchasing a new or used prop. Used ones run about 1/2 the price of a new one. Fill the lower unit with the appropriate fluids and reassemble it to the motor.

Replace the carbs, make the tests to the linkage, and then your ready to start the motor. If you are only going to run the motor at an idle and not for a long period of time, you can use the muffs for the lower unit. If your going to rev the engine's rpm's up, you want the motor to be in a tank of water or on the boat in a pond, lake or river.

A 3HP Evinrude is a good motor and should last for years. It sounds as though the previsous owner tried to take care of this one... you should also.

6. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i really appreciate your alls help. i do believ in the morning . i will drive to my fathers and look for the numbers and info off it. thanks again guys .

7. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i forgot to ask . i would have to take my motor to a shop for the compression test right ???? got any idea of what somthing like that runs now a days..

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Go to a parts store and buy the compression gage. The screw in type. For what it would cost at a shop for a compression test you can buy the gage.
    Now if you have a macanic friend that has one and he would do it for you then that is what I would do.
    I own three different gages myself because for some reason or the other you can't get two of them to read the same.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may also go to an Auto Zone. They will normally do things like that for free. You may also check with other auto parts store if there is no Auto Zone near you.

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    cant you basiclly hear compression in the engine?

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    TX, You can generally hear the compression, or put your thumb over the spark plug hole, but all these tell you is you have compression - not how much compression you have which is what's important. The compression is what forces the piston to recoil turning the crank, which turns the prop. So, if you have low compression, your not going to get much recoil, therefore your prop is not going to do to much. There is all kind of redneck tests (for lack of a better term) you can run, but if you don't put a gauge on the cylinder, your whistling in the dark. It is important for us to know what condition the engine is in... gauges tell that. Also, the amount of pressure difference between cylinders can tell you if you have damaged rings, gouged cylinders or possible a blown head gasket. It takes a lot of trial and error guesswork and expense out of the repair process.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lawerence pretty well nailed it. Hearing compression and knowing the numbers differ greatly. You can hear 5 lbs of compression but you won't run on it. An engine can run on 60# of compression but not well and would be a booger to start. Lets say you have a cylinder with 90 Psi and one with 65 psi it may run but not for long. You don't want one cylinder no more the 15% in compression then the other.
    Knowing the compression and spark on an engine lets you in essance know what kind of health your engine is in.

13. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    well all i did was put some 2 cycle mixtures in it today . filled up a thing of water . and it runs . started pretty well. although , i'm not sure if i got it full throtel or not . when i push it over all the way , it dies. but at about 3/4 of the way it really humms good. it hasn't been ran in years. and when i kick the motor in gear. it slows down the idel a bit. so i'm not sure whats wrong with it . i didn't do compression check. i think its ok . but not 100 percent . i seem to think running it a while might help smooth it out . maybe new spark plug and clean the carb out . and it should be good. anyone know how much a 3 hp evenrude might sell for . i can get the numbers you all asked about . i was going to write them down , but though well. i dont know what to do with them anyways . i quess if i want to find the value of it out . i need them huh. can anyone help me with that . finding the year made and all that . or its value . thanks mike

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Check on e-bay and you'll get an indication as to what it would sell for.