Got a little bored.....

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by NHARINTON88, Nov 13, 2009.

1. NHARINTON88

NHARINTON88 New Member

State:
    West Olive, MI
    and now I'm hooked!! :tounge_out:

So normally I am a salmon/trout fisher but lately have not felt like going up to the rivers. So i figured hey lets buy some stink bait and try the river/lake inlet here. WOO, catfishin is great!

I have been using charlies bloodbait in tubes and it works great!

Here are some pics from the tonight...... got about a week of warmer weather so I'm gunna have some fun here before the snow comes!

Let a bunch go and kept a bigger one. Never cooked a cat. any suggestions how to cook em?

Thanks!!!!:smile2:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    congrats on the nice catch. Welcome to the BOC! I fillet them and soak them in salt water for a day or so. I use andy's or hush puppy batter mix. Some Crisco or you choice of cooking oil.

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats and welcome to the B.O.C. Have you tried live bait yet? I believe thats the ticket. Good luck.

4. NHARINTON88

NHARINTON88 New Member

State:
    West Olive, MI
    Not sure where to start with live bait. give me some hints and ill give it a try!

5. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    nice catch...it don't take much to get hooked into catfishing!!!!!!

an easy way to cook would be your oil of choice (peanut oil 4 me) and any southern style fish fry is always cheap,easy and fast....enjoy

6. NHARINTON88

NHARINTON88 New Member

State:
    West Olive, MI
    and for kickers... unless im blind......... whats B.O.C. ? :big_smile:

Yeah, two three nights out and I'm in. Nothin like watching a tight line drop once then waitin for that second slam!!

7. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    b.o.c = brotherhood of catfishermen

8. NHARINTON88

NHARINTON88 New Member

State:
    West Olive, MI
    Ahhh..... one day I will catch one worthy of entrance!

9. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Michigan is my home state. (kalamazoo) There is not Blue catfish there but lot of flatheads and channels. Live bait is what the flats like. Channel's like just about anything..lol

10. NHARINTON88

NHARINTON88 New Member

State:
    West Olive, MI
    Got any local spots you like?

I'm new to MI (born and raised in CA) So lookin for good local lakes/rivers!

11. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    well if your in south west lower michigan. I fished all over there growing up. My uncle has a boat and charters on lake michigan. what area are you in?

12. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    uncle...boat...lake michigan.....hello my new best buddy:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:
    whats 4 thanksgiving dinner????:smile2:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  13. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    yeah I need to make a trip out with him also :wink: It's in south haven if know the area? (St.Joe river)

14. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Live bait I like is blue gill and shad. You can catch big channel on live blue gill, I do it all the time. Ive caught all three species on blue gills. Id jus figure out what there natural forage is and go with that.

15. NHARINTON88

NHARINTON88 New Member

State:
    West Olive, MI

Right up the road. Spring lake/Grand haven area!

16. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    That's a good area. Muskegon lake is real good. I did lots of small mouth bass fishing there. My dad was the president of the BASS club in kalamazoo and fished lots of tournaments. We never went after cat fish in michigan. Always bass fishing. My mom and sister and hole family is still there and can see my self moving home someday so I try to keep somewhat current there. Our two favorite places to go was grand river. And muskegon river at hardy dam. He is saying Grand river and kalamazoo river are good for cat fishing. Allegan lake witch is the kalamazoo river. I am not sure how far your willing to drive? If find a body of water you like let me know. I will see if I can get info for ya. Or tell you what I know about it.

17. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Nick welcome to the B.O.C. from N.C. .Check on the home page B.O.C. diner there are a lot of good recipes for catfish in there

18. NHARINTON88

NHARINTON88 New Member

State:
    West Olive, MI
    I have been fishin the grand. Ill take a look up at muskegon lake this weekend. might give it a shot if this nice weather holds out

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Creek chubs bluegills work good:wink: