Got a Grayline Bait Tank

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Mr.T, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Just bought a used 30 gal Grayline bait tank and am quite impressed so far - built like a brick outhouse with a filter system that's easy to maintain and quite effective. Insulated well enough that I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping shad alive this summer. This one is a couple of years old but works as good as new - the only moving part is the filter pump which is easy to replace.

A month or so ago, I bought one of those "Ed's Bait Tanks" and was thorougly unimpressed by both the quality and bait-holding ability of the tank, so decided on the Grayline instead. Guess I should have known that with a $300 price difference between the two, there'd be no comparison.

Only problem I have with the tank is that the previous owner let a bunch of shad rot in it at some point and the tank smells like death warmed over - I've tried bleach and baking soda but made little progress on eradicating the aroma. Think maybe a long soak in a very strong bleach solution is in order.

(And, lest anyone think I'm advertising, let me be clear that I have no financial interest in either of the brand names mentioned above!)

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Try dumping one bottle of proxide, one box of baking soda and two tablespoons of joy or dawn in it and fill with water. let set for about 6 to 8 hr then flush real good. also your filters and charcoal, may be holding the smell, would hurt to pull and soak them to. then a good bleach rinse. should be good to go, then.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Mr T,

Primitivefm is right that should do the trick for you, I have owned the 30 gallon for 5 years now great tank, don't overfill it with bait I use 2 Shad per gallon if there medium size but generally I try to have only about 30 at a time in it. They say one shad per gallon

During winter months you can pack that baby full of Shad and it won't faze them.

I get charcoal packs at Jacks aquaruims that are already in a bag and fit perfect under the plate, just changed my pump out this past week so five years is good service, I also opened up the discharge hole to 3/8 inch which will allow the larger scales to keep from blocking up the discharge hole.

Make sure when you put the plug in that the handle is facing down as I had it up one time and dropped a pole on it and it unlatched and the plug popped out and slid under one of my cabinets in the boat, boy was that fun trying to locate while keeping the finger in the hole.

I also put a trailer side marker light in it for night so I can see to net shad, and just this year I plumbed a air pump into the Grayline with double airstones and that has made a big difference in bait being frisky when I pull it out of the tank.

I use a cup of rock salt and Bait saver not Shad saver, the bait saver works better than the Shad saver IMO, also about every hour or so prop the lid open to allow any ammonia gas to leave the tank, if you keep it closed it will get recycled back into the water and they will get rednosed on you if you have a problem with foam, Cremora coffee cremer will clear it right out for you............Doc

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Take a few cups of coffee and spread in the tank. It will take the smell out.
    That is what we always used to take the smells out of a 48ft trailer. One time hauled a load of cow hides and man they smelled bad. After unloading them in West Tn.
    Took a 2 lb can of coffee and spread over the floor. Next day loaded and heading to CA. Unloaded there and loaded produce back. There was not any smell in the trailer but coffee.
    Pete

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    oh no Marty!!!!! You'll never get that smell outta your bait tank. I'm certian it's ruined and You need to throw it away and get a new one.

By the way when is Your trash day???? LMAO

I'm sure one of the above methods will work. I've had some down right discusting smelling bait coolers. I've always let them soak with bleach and water for a couple of days, that seems to do the trick.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try the peroxide first and see how that goes. Otherwise, my trash day is Friday, Brad... :big_smile:

I've got one of those LED livewell lights from Cabelas that I'm thinking of wiring into the tank. We'll see about adding an airstone later if it becomes necessary...

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    How do those commercial Bait tanks fill and empty? they hve a hose to a pump that pumps in/out water?

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's a drain plug in the bottom. If you want to pump it in or out, you'll have to rig up a separate pump.

The drain plug isn't a problem for me - my boat has an aluminum deck so I'll just let it run and it'll all end up at the rear drain... Plan to fill it from the faucet before going fishing rather than using lake water - will add appropriate chemicals to get rid of the chlorine, etc.

9. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am looking for a way to keep the water cool in mine on hot summer days. I hate to keep buying ice and using the 2 liter bottles.

I have thought about having a 12 volt portable cooler like they sell at Walmart and running a line in and back out to circulate though a coil of copper tube and back to the bait well.

I thought I would see if anyone has tried this before I spend the money.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    When I was building my tank, I had actually thought about doing something similar. Running a line through an external cooler filled with ice, etc..
    Im not sure how cool it would make it running it through a portable elec cooler. Not sure it would cool it fast enough..
    I ended up making mine where I could run it in an "open" system; drawing in fresh lake water and while pumping out old water in the tank when I was anchored.. Seems to work pretty well so far.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    try not only cleaning the inside of the tank but the outside too to try and get the smell out... also you may want to try filling it and pouring in bleach and let it soak for a day or 2...

the coffee trick should work too... and if it doesn't just keep a can of coffee near the bait tank with a few holes poked in it... it'll help mask the smell a bit...