Got a good scare this morning while noodling

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by daniel-delarosa, Aug 5, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    My buddy and I went noodling this morning. We had our first hog about two minutes in. When I pulled the fish out, we saw that it had a huge growth of some sort on its fin. It was pink and white, about the size if a plum. It also had worms all over it.(I guess thats what they are called). anyways, we tore out of there like we just commited a crime and came back to the house to take showers fearing that the water was contaminated. anyone have any ideas what it was?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Daniel, think you and your buddy have been exposed to the noodling virus. Its a growth on fish that live in contaminated water. In humans it resembles the small fish which attach themselves to sharks, feeding off the host. Nothing to worry about as most noodlers contact them at some point or another.

Now, that was a big ration of BS I thought I would throw at you noodlers before the real serious anti-noodlers show up.

I believe the biologists at the fish and game department had a bulletin out about this condition a few months ago. They said it was nothing to worry about and as long as the fish were properly cleaned and cooked, there was no threat to humans. Myself, I don't think I'd eat the fish if I knew it had the worms and other parasites.

You said your first one was a hog...and with this infection, I assumed you practiced CPR. LOL

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I have no idea what it was but I am like you, who wants to be around something like that.
    Bill

4. catfishpoop

catfishpoop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just reading about it made me want to take a shower.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have seen numerous cats with what appeared to be worms on them ,which are really just small leaches ,and nothing to worry about.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm sure that Catfish wasn't any happier seeing you either. Especially since he was about to get eaten! Guess he got the last laugh this time.

I'm like you, I wouldn't have eaten it either.:eek:oooh:

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    About five minutes later, that flathead was rubbing the wad of bubble gum off himself and laughing up a storm. I guess that's one way to ensure a high CPR ratio.
    :wink:

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Sorry, I had to post again! Just got a visual! Too funny.:smile2:

Score one for the Catfish!

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Stop Crying ,you think you had a scare this morning.Think how I felt when I looked in the mirror at 5;30am and this really ugly old cuss with white stuff all over his face stared back at me.:smile2::eek:oooh:Never look in the mirror at 5:30am with only one eye partially open!!!!:crazy:Once I opened both eyes I realized it was the usually handsome,charming ,debonair fellow I was used to seeing!:smile2:Were I you, I would find antoher lake to noodle in.Is that a pink spot there next to your elbow??????:cool2:

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Daniel... I thought that you was smarter than that! Well, I wus young and dumb once upon a time... I'm not young any more...:embarassed:

11. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Most of the cats I catch from my local waterway have those "worms". Theyre actually leeches, And for some reason they tend to always be underneath the fish's lower jaw between the whiskers. They seem to especially prefer channel and blue cats under 10 lbs. I don't know why, but I always find them under their lower jaw, and I usually remove them before I release the fish..I guess it makes me feel better about interupting the fish's day...haha. I fish for most all species present in my river, and Ive never seen the leeches on any fish other than the 3 catfish species. Mabey it is a certain species of leech that only preys on catfish??? Theyre much smaller than the leeches that will suck on humans, and Ive done a ton of wading in this river and have never had a leech bite me.