got a good one last night...

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Jun 8, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    last night we stopped by one of my buddy's grandparent's soybean field on the way home and ran a big boar out of them. nailed him a few times with the .45 acp and he started spinning around and growling. my buddie's red heeler jumped out of the truck and got up in his face. they were going round and round and i was worried about my bud's dog. she has never dealt with a hog before and he was fixing to tear her up... i ran up and popped him twice in the head and put him down. he weighed about 300 pounds, with 4" cutters. his head was a solid scar, you can tell he was one of the bada$$es of the area. hogs that size kill a lot of fawns and calves there, and it was good to get a big old dominant boar down and out of the process. we think he was one of the stock killers they have out there because of the smell on him, he had definitely been feeding on meat. started cutting on him and even the meat had that rank smell the meat eaters have, so i decided not to keep the meat. might sound a little foreign to yall that don't have hogs, but we kill them when we see them, and can't make a dent in their population at all. not every hog is fit for eating, you can pretty much tell if they are good or not when you start cutting on them, especially the boars. damn cell phone wouldn't take a pic even in the headlights, but if too much of his head isn't gone i'll do a skull mount and put the pics on here. i need to get another digital camera. the boar stunk so bad we didn't want to put him in the truck so i'll let him dry out a bit by the soybeans before i get the head ready.

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Would love to see Pics of the Hog and the Dog.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'll get pics on here of the skull after the varmints eat him off a little. it's been hot here and i am not going near him till he's been chewed on for a good while! they get real bad after being in the sun for a couple days. probably make some good channel cat bait though, haha. my bud's dog is just a mutt red heeler bitch, i was surprised how she acted. either it was she didn't know what she was messing with, or was acting out of instinct. when we dogged hogs i have seen some inexperienced or gritty dogs get hurt bad by a hog when they get up in their face. they are bad news.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont know a think about hogs except they are supposed to really tear up the land they use. Sounds like a nuisance that needs taking care of.

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds exciting Jordan, glad it worked out he didn't hurt the dog, sounds like he was a nasty one to mess with. Yeh, sometimes they just ain't fit to eat, even give the buzzards heartburn...:big_smile: I gota get back down TX way soon and get me a few, hadn't been since spring last year.

6. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    ive heard that they are starting to find hogs entering iowa and the dnr says to shoot them on the spot. the olny other year long season we have in iowa is coyotes

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    It's funny how some dogs just know to go bay a hog. Just about any dog with herding instinct will bay a hog.

Sounds like he was a real monster. A 300 lb hog is truly a HUGE hog, and 4" cutters are gonna make a fantastic skull mount. If I were you, I'd cut his head off and put it somewhere safe. I like to cut their heads off and soak them in a bucket of water for a while. This will loosen up the skin and everything, and make it pretty easy to clean. Yes, it'll reek but you can put it somehwere safe & nothing will jack with it.

Around here, you can lay a dead hog out in an open field like that, and NOTHING will eat on it. No buzzards, coyotes, or anything will put their mouth on it, and I don't know why. Maybe they're afraid, I don't know. I put a couple of boars down next to a river here in the brush, so that the coyotes would chew on them (or so I thought). After they'd laid there a few months during the winter with nothing eating on them, I finally had to go bury them.

Most boars around here, after they hit about 150 lbs, they are not worth eating.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hear ya jerrod. i have called coyotes over hog carcasses we had already butchered out, and the coyotes will come in with their ears laid back, jumping back when they stepped on dry grass. good reason too, a big hog is not scared of anything. i have seen them run cattle off a feeder and the cattle didn't even protest! i have seen piggies pulled out of a trap and set to squealing and other hogs will show up to investigate. they are truly the top of the chain around here, and their populations keep on expanding.
    i have eaten 200 pound boars that were just tender as could be, but they are few and far between. i have shot 100 pound boars that were tough as nails and didn't grow to any size for some reason. must be the genetics of all the different breeds of pigs the ferals have in them.

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got a buddy who caught a boar along the red river one time, and they said it was like a dwarf. It was only about 80 lbs, but they said you could tell it was very old. It was scarred up, had hair missing all along the backside of his shoulders & had 4-4 1/2" tusks. He must've been a strange looking thing. They said his body was just disproportionate. They kept him to show to everybody for a few days. I never got to see him though.

I've seen aggressive hogs go after lots of things, and we watched one boar lie in wait for a small buck one day. He laid down next to a game trail under a mesquite tree, and when a young buck walked by this boar jumped out at him and tried to get him. That buck jumped bout 5 feet in the air, and ran about 30 yards. He turned around & looked at that hog like "What the heck did you do that for?" It was kinda comical, but a little spooky at the same time. We waited for that boar to step out again, and waxed him. He was 250 lbs of piebald meanness. We always wondered how a deer with a keen sense of smell, couldn't have known a 250 lb stinking boar hog was waiting to try to get him.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Taking a knife and opening up that hog will often let critters get through the tough hide.Another thing to consider.Hogs can live with many illnesses and diseases that other animals can not.Animals can smell such things.Hogs can also feed on poisons and such to where their flesh would kill anything that ate it.Down south,folks would feed one hog strychnine when they got tired of hog thieves.Stealing,killing,butchering and eating the hog would kill you and your family.

My wife had a "fully developed" and perfectly proportioned Pet midget Mule foot Boar that weighed a little over 8 lbs.at thirteen months of age.A pack of dogs killed it.It was as feisty as a big boar.It cut some of the dogs that killed it.The man I got the hogs parents from had a tiny one like this that died young.I don't know how long it would have lived.It was too small to breed with any other hog though it sure wanted to.

I had to get rid of my Mule foot Hogs,Miniature Jack Ass,Dogs,Emus,Iguanas,Monitors,Taegu's,some Parrots & Macaws,Hedgehogs,Sugar gliders,Prairie Dogs,Ferrets,Snakes and such when I got sick.I miss them.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Hey Jordan just wondering did you ever get an arrow out to that hog that you found tracks from in town? What ever happened with that?

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well jesse that was on a dry lake bed, and since we have got so much rain all that's underwater. i can't get back to where it is now. i have been patrolling around there as far as i can get in, but i have'nt seen any more sign. i have been contemplating putting out some sour grain and sitting near it one night, but right now i am getting ready to return to work. i haven't forgot about it, just been too busy! if/when i stick that sucker, i will surely get pics of it, regardless of how gnarly it is. i am kicking myself for just not hauling this one to the farm for a quick pic, but oh well.

13. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Good luck!! I hope that we get to see some pics that would mean theres one less hog with us!!!LOL!!!:wink:

14. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. Guys, we all have our ideas on scents that attract hogs best. What scents, or blend of scents would each of you choose to attract hogs, get them within bow range? I've used lots of different blends effectively but would like to hear your ideas? LIG (Life is Good)

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    luke, i would use soured corn. it has always worked for hogs in traps. after that all you have to do is have the time and patience to sit over it for a while. another thing you could do is set up a feeding regimen where you put out bait every couple of days. this will attract more animals, usually, and can make it more productive.

16. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I would just use soured corn, there is lots of stuff out there that you can buy, but it won't work any better than the corn and costs a lot more. Kinda fool the fools stuff in my opinion. Fresh corn works fine, but deer and turkey like it too. Put it where the hogs are for a few days and they will come back looking for it.

Jim