Got a ? for you!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by katcatchingfool, Feb 14, 2008.

1. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Has anybody tried the Shakespeare Arsenal reel or heard anyting on them yet. i was checking them out in my new Cabela's Catalog. I was thinking about getting one just to try one out and thought i would throw this question at you guys first.:big_smile:

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not sure, I've thrown a buddies shakespear reel that is similar and it seemed to cast pretty good, but nothing like my abus! I tried a couple of the shakespear reels that were made to look like an abu 6000 and they were absolute JUNK! Not sure of the price of the shakespear, but for probably a few dollars more, you could get a good abu and not worry about it. I've even shopped around and got a new abu 9000BG for only 69.99. It's compareable in size I believe.

If you go cheap in the beginning, then you'll have to replace it in a year or two if you use it much. By the time you've replaced it two or three times, you've got twice as much invested as if you'd bought a good one to begin with. And the good one will still be going.

3. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Never tried one its all Abu for me!!!

4. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    get ya a Penn thats the way to go

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    dont care for shakesapere reels its ABU for me !

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    a buddy of mine just thru 2 penns in the river :big_smile: lol

7. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    guys i need another reel like i need another hole in my head, i have penns,okuma ,Abu's , shakespeare's, Quantum's and Shimanos baitcasters That range from $39 to $300 dollars so i don't really need anymore. i saw the Arsenal HD and thought i might pick one up just to see how good they work i am not the type of person that gets caught up in one type of reel and never tries any other brand. i never read anything on the Arsenal other than what they advertise in the catalog and i have brought 50lbs + fish to the boat with $39 Tide water reels. i was just wondering if anyone has tried one before? And to be honest my most expensive reels are not my go to reels!

8. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i wanna try running a saltwater rod and reel for catfishing see how they hold up under the pressure

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm like you Jason, that's why I was letting you know what I knew about the shakespears from personal experience. I tend to like to see for myself, but after doing that for awhile, found that I was wasting alot of money that I could spend on the reels I liked the best. With the tinkering around with them and the technical training and experience I've got as an armorer, I've found how easy the abus are to repair and even build from scratch. I've found lots of places to get parts and know what I like in a reel, so I just build all mine from scratch the way I like em now. The reel makers tend to make a reel they want to sell only listening to a few points from the sportsmen of what they want. Abus are so easy to work on and switch around, anyone can make what they want out of them to fit the kind of fishing they do.

10. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    thanks vince i appriciate your input! i was just wondering where did you find a 9000 for $69? shoot me a pm

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sent you a pm. But so anyone else interested might know, I got it from Rogers Sporting Goods. It's listed on their "homepage specials" page of their website. It shows out of stock right now but if someone finds out if they're getting anymore in, let us know. I'd like to get one or two more. It's the perfect spoonbill reel! It holds lots of heavy line and casts like a tricked out 6000! Believe it or not, it's not as cumbersome to fish with as it looks.

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I am not sure about that particular reel but I have never been impressed with Shakespeare reels.(spinning) However they purchased Pflueger and I think they are basing a lot of their reels of that brand. Looks similar to Pflueger Contender in picture...... Just my 1 cent and a half......

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    -with that kind of judgement,you may well be next!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee