Got a fish story for you........buddy catches new personal best

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Oct 17, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    They say a picture is better than a thousand words, so you may want to take a gander at the attachments before reading further.

I'm not sure what to say. When that fish hit and was jumping completely out of the water 50 yards from the boat we knew something was a bit quirky. It was big and it jumped, that's all we knew. I figured it could be a snagged asian, but I've never seen one of those fellers jump so I knew it was unlikely. We fought that dinosaur for 10 minutes and it ran upstream to the side of the boat and jumped again.....just far enough away where we couldn't see it -- not that we would have identified it anyway. A few stressful minutes later we had it boat side and finally got a peak. I suspect I blacked out for a few moments as I could not believe we had a freakin' lake sturgeon (I think). I've never heard anyone really talk about catching one, so we weren't quite sure what to do with it. Needless to say it didn't fit in the net as they don't bend very well. So, I did what anyone would do -- stuck my hand it's mouth (or whatever you call it) and wenched it aboard.

It was a fairly surreal moment staring at that prehistoric creature laying in the bottom of the boat. It beat us up a bit while we snapped a few shots and I made a phone call to my buddy to see what a record may be (turns out Missouri doesn't recognize sturgeon as a gamefish or something of that nature). I know folks catch them up to 400 pounds, but that's the Snake River. Anyway, we released her unharmed to live and eat shad parts and insect larvae for the next 100 years. I think it's interesting to note we didn't extract one ounce of caviar.

He, she, it (whatever it was) ended up measuring 58 inches long with a girth of 29. We weighed it on my bass pro scales and it sat about 60lbs. I have no idea how accurate that is as we could barely get her off the floor.....nor are those scales easy to hold.

I would certainly be interested in hearing about other folks experiences with this creature. I'm not sure if this was the proverbial "finding a needle in the haystack", or is everyone belting lake sturgeon and it's really no big deal. I still don't know what to think.

Attached Files:

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    no idea about sturgeon except that is a cool looking fish , congrats to you!

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    did you catch that on the Missouri river?

We put one in the boat a few weeks ago but not nearly that big.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We use to catch them on the Mo. up around Omaha once in a while. Used worms to get them. Wierd looking things with there mouth on the bottom and dinasour skin. Never did eat one but there was allways someone on the bank that would take everyone we caught.

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats wild thanks for sharing the storyand pics. i bet he put up one heck of a fight

6. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO

We caught it at the confluence on the Mississippi. It ate a gizzard shad head in about 30 feet of water.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  8. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have caught several over the years mostly on crayfish and worms jbut never over four or five lbs cool fish and thanks for the story and the pics

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the story and pics. Never seen one caught before.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Very Cool fish Greg! Way to go buddy!

I've caught a bunch of the the little shovel head sturgeon before, they're the itty bitty ones. The only other time I've seen a sturgeon that big was I was "patroling" the Lincoln Sheilds area, just upriver of the MP dam, and saw a young man fishing from the bank. Decided to go over and talk to him to see if he had been doing any good. When I got over there, he had a fish on. He was fishing with a Zebco 33 spooled with 15 pound test and said he had been fighting the fish for about an hour and a half. When he told me that, I was very interested to see what he had on the line and decided to stick around and lend him a hand. Another hour later, the fish finally decided to show it's self and it turned out to be a large sturgeon! I helped him bring it on land and when he picked it up, it was nearly as tall as him and if my memory serves me correctly he was nearly 5'8" tall! I happily snapped a few photos of the fish for him and then watched as he set the beast loose! It was a very neat looking fish.

Greg, you should send in your story to the MDC along with a picture. I'm sure they would be interested in it. A couple of years ago I spoke to a couple federal Biologists that were conducting a study on the Lake Sturgeon population on the Missouri river. So I'm sure they would be happy to hear your story.

Congrats buddy!

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I ran in to a team from US Fish and Willife a couple of weeks ago at Weldon Spring. They were studying sturgeon. I think they might appreciate a pic and the story. I caught one on the Mississippi a cuple of years ago that was about 4 and a half feet long. Thought I had the record catfish. I didnt have a camera with me so I just let it go quickly. All I know about them is the Lake and Pallid are the biggest. Shovelnose only get up to about 5 or 6 lbs as far as I know.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    anyone whos caught one with some size to it would never dismiss it. from what Iv'e seen on tv they are an awesome fight. congratulations.

13. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds about right. I hooked one last year (Oct 29) below St. Charles and thought I had a whopper only to find out it was a sturgeon. One heck of a fightin' fish. Weighed in at 46lbs and length was 52" I believe. I was thinking it was a pallad sturgeon but may have been a lake. Anyhows, I've attached a pic. If anyone would like to see the video, I've got it also. I really thought I had a whale of a catfish. Caught using cut shad.

BTW - It was released safe and sound. I have heard that they are really good eatin' though!

Attached Files:

14. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Bob and Tom,

I did follow up with MDC and they were interested in hearing about it. You may want to send Danny Brown (Danny.Brown@mdc.mo.gov) a note about your catches as well.

15. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    yes the lake sturgen is protected they have been tagging them up my way for a couple of years now the biggest one they had tagged was 48lbs some of the fish they tagged they put radio transmitters on thats all i know

16. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Congrats. That quilifies as a fish of a lifetime to me. :big_smile:

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dude that is awsome stuff you have there.Last year I watched my little bro.wrestle a 12.5 shovel.It had him all over the boat and I had to laugh cause he is a little man....but he got it in and from what I have read he tied the record:eek:oooh:We have pics but that is all and tis a storey so I know how humble ya are congratulations aint it AWSOME

18. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Neat looking fish, nice catch whatever it is.:big_smile:

19. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's a pic of the underside of the sturgeon.

Attached Files:

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Sorry guys but that mouth is just gross. I don't think I'd stick my hand in it to land that fish.