Got a few questions about my catfishing stuff

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by field989, Jun 6, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    1.ok first, i use 50lb power pro should i go to 65? just in case

2.which is better a shakespere tiger or shakespere tiger lite,

3.eagle claw or mustad?

4.is there anywhere that sells eagle claw in smaller ammounts, instead of like 25 or 50 per pack?

5.should i try to get the strongest hooks i can buy?, like 4x strong or something like this

thats it for now lol

THANKS in advance.... Jeff

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

What are you going after? I'll assume big flathead or blues??

1: 50 should be plenty, unless your fishing in the middle of brush piles/log jams... I use 20lb mono myself.. Dont fight the fish with the line or power of the reel.. use the rod and drag...

2: im guessing you asking about ugly sticks? Tigers are bit stouter, though either will do just fine..

3: I like eagle claw kahles

4: www.catfishconnection.com... can also try to lucky and find some at a local farm & home store

5: Doubt a fish will break off a eagle claw kahle, line will break first...

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    thanks,

big flatheads, over 25lb (what im aiming for anyways lol)

i was looking at catfish connection thats why i asked if they sold them in any smaller ammounts, cause the hooks i want to get they sell in like boxes of 25.....$$$$

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    What hooks you wanting?

5. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    1. 50lb is just fine they land much much bigger saltwater fish on 20lb mono. Use a leader though!
    2. Not sure bro... But somebody around this place sure does trust me!!
    3. mustad, but gamakatsu are my favorite they stay sharp longer I think.. You can't go wrong really. circle hooks
    4. Catfish Connection BP, Cabelas some should sell them just gotta look
    5. Bro don't worry about your hook breaking. I don't think i have actually seen a hook company advertise having the stongest hooks. It's hard for any fish to straighten a khales or circles. Circles almost always get the fish in the corner of the mouth. Only way the could break it off is if you didn't fight with the fish.
    Good Luck on the water!

Josh

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    circles and kahles,

MOST eagle claw hooks are sold in 25 pk or more, which if u wanna try out different sizes it gets $$$ for me anyways lol

but i could go with gamakatsu most of their hooks are in 4, or 6 packs which imo is a good price

i was thinking of getting hook sizes, 4/0, 6/0, 8/0, and maybe a 10/0 but that should cover my cut bait and live bluegill needs.... lol

any suggestions on sizes?

7. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    1. I use 40lb mono with 80lb mono led the 50 power pro should be fine.

2. The tiger rod is a very good rod I use one myself.

8. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    1. I use 40lb mono with 80lb mono led the 50 power pro should be fine.

2. The tiger rod is a very good rod I use one myself.

3. Hooks I use eagle claw they are a fairly good hook.

4. As far as bending or braking personly I have not seen one bend or brake.

I hope this helps a little.

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i forget does the tiger have a trigger, i like a fishing rod that has a trigger, just feels better lol

i was thinking of either a berkely glow stik or a shakespere tiger or tiger lite

10. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    Well the tiger I have is the is the big one that holds 30-60lb line and it doesn't have a trigger.

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    1 i use 30 pound Big Game so 50 will do.

2 That is a a answer only you can answer for your self as we all have or openions on those rods but to me I would stick with the ugly stick and not the light
    3 In hook Eagle claw over Mustad as most mustad's I have seen are not very sharp.

4 If you just want a few i.e. 10 or so check you local bait and tackle shops

5 Fishing for 25 + pound flatties I use a 8/0 kale and a good heavy duty one at that.

12. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I personally use mustad for all my hook needs, however if you need the eagle claw in smaller packs I might can work something out for you. I don't know if it would be cheaper but I might can. Also check wal-mart and Dick's sporting goods if you have one there, they might sell them.

Rod, well as long as it's durable and you take care of it, either should work fine.

Your 50 lbs test line should do just fine, just make sure you inspect it periodically for fraying or weak spots (braid or no braid). That's where your damage and lost fish will come from 90% of the time.

Hope that helps.

13. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    HI I use 20lb CAJUN
    eagle is good
    walmart
    THANKS TIMBO

14. field989

field989 New Member

State: