Got a Dilema

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BIG GEORGE, Aug 22, 2009.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I have 3 penn power sticks. I've had em for years. The top third of the rod has plenty of action and the rest is backbone. My dilema is this. I'm sure due to age and alot of fishin the ceramic eyes in the guides are startin to come out. Luvin the rods as much as I do (they are perfect for my river) I'm wonderin if I should spring for the dinero and have all stainless guides put on them. I've searched the model number and they don't make em any more. Found a couple of web sites that sell somethin comperable, but I ain't buyin a rod that I don't hold in my hands first. Or are we talkin road trip to cabellas or somethin like that. I'm so confused! LOL!

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I say if you like the rods so much keep em and spring the doe to replace the guides..

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    George ,i have to agree if you like the rods ,just get you some new guides an replace them. You can do it yourself ,then think how proud you will be when you catch that 1st nice fish on the rods you fixed :cool2:

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ive had 3 rods in the past 2 months refitted with new eyes by a local rod guy and couldnt have been happier with the results:wink:

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree. If you like the rods. I would have new guides put on.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I can see how easily that could confuse someone from Joisy.

Have the new eyes put in. Send them to me, and I'll make sure they're worth fishing with.

I promise to send them back at the earliest oppurtunity:wink:

7. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Id say put new guides in George, but a trip to cabelas is alway fun too!:smile2:

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm down. Replace the guides! :wink:

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I see the dilemma though..Buy a new rod or repair the best rods I've ever had..Thats a tough one but now that I think about it I'd probably just do both repair my favorite rods and buy a new one..

10. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hey BG, I love the Penn Power Sticks as well. All 4 of my Calcuttas are riding on those rods. Not sure which model you're looking for-mine are the PC 3723 M 7'. I work for a tackle shop part time and we are a Penn dealer. I'm not putting in a plug for the shop as I have never mentioned the name of it on here because I think that's a no no. PM me the rod number you're looking for and I'll let you know if I can get it.

11. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Replace the guides on your favorite rods George!
    I know everyone else has said the same thing but I wouldn't miss the chance to give Big George some advice, it's always been him telling me what i chould do! I love the BOC!

12. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm with Les on this one. Fix the rod that works so well for you, *and* make a trip to the Cabela's store. :wink:

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    BG you know those rods are like your wife,well broken in,fix em up allready will ya,then take the money ya saved and go to cabelas :cool2:

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm feelin everyones vibe. Lets do the math. Guides 9 stainless gotta run me say$50 a set. I need 3 sets. Now ya got the labor to replace them. Cause I sure as hell ain't doin it. :wink:

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I had top of the line guides put on my rods and they were less than $25 per set at 8 eyes per set. The whole re-wrap process was $67 per rod:big_smile:

16. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Even went the extra mile on one rod and had my Grandfathers signature pinstriped on the base:cool2:

17. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Fishin rods are like wives. When you finaly find one that works good - get it repaired if needed. Replacing is expensive.