Got a couple

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by rhuffman, Apr 22, 2009.

1. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    Small carp and a nice bass out of the mon. if someone can tell me what kind of bass this is I'd appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    That is a wiper. (Striped bass white bass hybrid)

3. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks, I don't fish for bass and didn't know which are stripers, hybrids, or whites. Wiper is a new one to me.

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Pretty darn sure thats a white bass.. though it can be hard for me to tell it apart from the striped bass and the hydrid.

I kind of recollect someone telling me you can tell from the stripes, but I don't remember it.

for right now, the high shoulder of your fish, looks like it is a Mature white bass...

some background on this can be found here http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/fishhtms/chap21.htm

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    ok the hybrid,then a wiper...

what do you look for??

6. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    Jolie I'm once again lost on what this fish is.

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    no, I'm sure it IS a wiper. but I'm not sure I know the exact identifying marks. I was sure it wasn't a striped bass, because it looked mature (with the high shoulders) and it is too small to be a mature striped bass.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hybrid striped bass, the freshwater tuna and definitely pound-for-pound the hardest fighting fish in American waters.

The call them wipers in Indiana too! Cross between a white bass and striper, hence the term WIPER.:cool2:

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    The only way I know is the lines are more broken up on the wiper. Maybe a better answer coming?

10. dlsloan

dlsloan Member

State:
    Kansas
    the wiper and striped bass have 2 tooth patches on their tongue, the white bass has 1 tooth patch on their tongue, also the wiper has a deeper body than the striped bass, hope this helps