Got a couple questions

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by fisherman94580, Dec 25, 2006.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'll be fishing in the Ohio River, and a pretty big creek alot this summer. I was wondering what kind of hooks, weights, rigs would work best for those waters.

2. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Aaron, welcome to the BOC! Best site on the planet. There are a lot of options that you can use to fish the creeks. I like to use the tightline method. I use a 3 to 5oz. sinker, depending on the current, on the end of my rig, then tie a leader 2 or 3 ft. up the line, with a 5.0 to 8.0 j- hook. Get a cast net and catch shad or blue gill for bait. You can use liver or shrimp for channels, but I prefer fresh cut or live bait. This is only one option, I'm sure that other members will offer more info. Hope ths helps. Good Luck, David

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    first welcome to the BOC aaron ,
    this is the place to learn all you need to know about catfishing the ohio river or any where world wide . hang out and read the few million posts if you can retain all that knowledge thats provided you should be the best . good luck

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Aaron,
    David and Chuck both gave you good advice.
    There are hundreds if not thousands of tackle/rig/bait options but if you keep it simple you will not go far wrong. The In-Fisherman book " Channel Catfish Fever" is a great guide to catfishing. Good luck and welcome to the BOC...W

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    all of the guys gave you good advice my rig is set up with 30lb cajon red 5oz noroll sinker with 50lb 1 foot leader an 10/0 or 9/0 king kehal hook just read around at some of the posst an see what works good for you

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron welcome to the BOC. You will enjoy fishing the Ohio. Good Fishing.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC...I think these guys have summed it up well. Check out the library for tons of info on the many options you can use for successful fishing. Have fun!