Got a casting net guestion

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Montgomery, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i didn't know where to post this thread at. and since i'm in ohio, why not here huh.lol. well i got my first casting net for christmas. and have tried throughing it a few times. but i think i may be to short for it . i got the super spreader 5 ft radius from catfish connection. i am only 5'7' tops. little guy. has anyone heard of anyone being to short to get a good toss. or is that just crazy talk . and i'm an idiot and cant figure it out . i just cant seem to get it swung around me high enough to clear andy river weeds and stuff. i dont know i just thought i would see what you all thought before i bought a new one . hell i might be willing to trade for a smaller one if anyone has a smaller one and wants a biger one. and when is a good time to start looking for shad by the banks and shores.i have no clue how to find them or really where

2. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i think you just need to get use to it.....it took me awhile to using one when i was in south carolina...you could get a smaller one to use it might be easier for you to learn to use it

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dought ya are to short. im not sure how you are throwing it but if you are right handed take left hand and put the loop on your wrist. roll the cord in the left hand about arm length loops like a drop cord. with the left hand then grab the ntes top ring and shake it to get out any tangles. take your right hand and grab the net about 12-18" down. now here ya may have to grab just a bit lower. just dont let it drag the ground. release the ring with your left but not the rope and reach down to the ground and get the lead line by your left first fingers. then with the right hand go about an arms lenght down the lead line and hold out in front of you. then swing it back to your right and when ya get back to the full extent swing back forward, do this all in one motion without stopping. just as ya are about to release give your right hand a good snap and let it go first followed by the left. throw it up at an angle to give it a lil more time to open. let the net gently pull the rope out ove your left hand as it goes out. hope this helps.:roll_eyes:

4. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    I think you will be fine as far as your heighth goes.Using acast net takes alot of practice-trust me i started three years ago and i still screw it up from time to time,About 95% of the time i get it right though and thats all it takes.Keep practicing.Practice in your yard that way when you get to the lake you are ready.I think the key is finding the shad so that even an "ok" throw will produce some bait for you.Find shad at tributary mouths,rip rap areas and below dams(below dams is usually the best place for me)They gather in these places by the hundreds.GOOD LUCK!

5. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Try a FITEC castnet - easy - stupid easy to learn to throw. Got mine from Cabelas but also available elsewhere. I stood on my deck (the one on the house, not the boat) and learned to throw it consistently in about 10 minutes and I've never had a castnet in my hands before. The aluminum ring is the key - can't recommend it enough. See picture.

Attached Files:

6. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    hey thank you all for your help answering my questions. i feel i have learned so much through this web site. yet i still dont catch lots of fish .lol

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
  8. Silverwmark

Silverwmark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think the fact you are vertically challenged has anything to do with it. I am 5'8" and throw a 8' radius all the time. I had a local down in Florida show me how to toss it years ago. Are you close to Dayton?
    Mark

9. GumboGalahad

GumboGalahad New Member

State:
    Richmond, Indiana
    Your height isn't the problem. I'm 5'5" and throw a 6' net. Practice as much as you can. You can even do it in the yard, just make sure you pick up the sticks so they don't tangle your net.

10. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    That 5 ft net will not be any problem for you after a little practice. Watch the video at this link. After a couple evenings of practice and maybe a couple hundred throws just pm me if you're still having trouble. A couple pointers: Don't let go with your little finger until the last possible second and if you'll practice some with an even bigger and heavier net it'll make throwing the smaller net even easier.

http://www.calusa.com/howtothrow.cfm

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Yes, the super spreader is harder for you because you are short. Absolutely, positively, not a doubt in my mind. Ditch the super spreader (read: take it back to wally world) and get the fitec net that they carry. You will be able to throw a 5 or 6 foot regular net with ease after some practice.

Guys, I'm 5-8 & I can hardly throw that silly super spreader net either. I just simply don't have enough arm length to hold onto the ring and sling it without the rest of the net hitting the ground, or me, or the water or something. The Super Spreader has the little magic ring that you're supposed to be able to hold and shazaam.... the whole thing flies magically toward your intended target and softly balloons out to a perfect circle everytime. Well, I've seen it happen a few times, and I've seen it get hung up on every part of me imaginable and if there's any bank behind me, that's where thenet will usually end up. Trust me, if you were as low to the ground as we were, you'd understand.:roll_eyes:

Go getcha a different net and you'll be fine. Just don't give up.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i dont have the magically opening net,lol. i just get the ones ya toss with practice. i can stand on the rail of the boat and get it out good. never threw a net with them toss aids. your prob right speaking from experience.

ive just thrown so much its second nature.

13. GumboGalahad

GumboGalahad New Member

State:
    Richmond, Indiana
    I've never heard of a super spreader. I find that most "miracle" gadgets and gizmos are more trouble than they're worth. I'd suggest getting rid of that thing and get a regular castnet.

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    " i just cant seem to get it swung around me high enough to clear andy river weeds and stuff "
    Mike, most of use don't throw over weeds.
    Docks, the bows of boats,and the cement walls of spillways are most often the areas we cast. Some times I will try to hit a small pool or riffle in the crick,but I try to do it from above. Most cast netting is done,
    out and down, not up and over.
    :0a26:

15. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i'm also short...5'6". I throw a 5fter and a 7fter. It's mostly about practice.

I buy the ones at wally world for around $25. I got the 7fter over by the steam plant at the Busy Bee for around $40. I haven't seen one at a wally world larger than 5'. I buy the mono ones, tried a nylon one once and didn't care for it at all, personal preference

I was throwing my 5 fter earlier this week after not using it for a couple months...took me about a dozen throws to get it to open up properly...but once i remembered how to throw it again...was doin fine.

practice, practice practice....like anything else.

good luck
    robert

16. catch14u

catch14u New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought the same super spreader over the winter. I havent tried it yet... but after reading some comments. I thinking i should take it back and get a different one.

17. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    If we're talking about the FITEC, super spreader, with the aluminim ring at the top I don't see how you couldn't like it. It's not a magical ring or a gizzmo - it's just an easy net to throw. I want to get my bait and go fishing not screw around with the castnet all morning - to each his own but I love mine so much that I've recently bought another as a spare.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Your height has nothing to hinder the size net you can toss. If you get any shorter of a net all you are gonna do is make noise and get tired of throwing it lol. Its easier to show than explain but I'll try.
    Reach thru the loop on the end of rope and pull to make another loop. This loop you put your hand into and sinch up. It makes it harder to loose lol. Then just start laying loops onto the fingers of that han till you come to the net. ( the loops should hang down from you fingers 14 or 15 inches) Now with your free hand hold the net off the ground so it hangs straight. Reach down with your hand containing the loops right in the middle of the net and grab on. Lay the upper portion over the back of your loop hand. ( now you are only throwing half the length ). Reach straight down in front of you and grab a single strand of the sinker line and add it on top of the loops. Follow the sinker line back down to the bottom with your free hand, (The line closest to your body). And use your fingers to gather about 2 feet of sinker line in your free hand. You are ready to throw. Just swing back toward you loop hand just enough to to get a pendulum effect going then swing toward your target and release everything in your loops hand while still holding the 2 foot section in you're free hand. The momentum of the loops section will pull the free hand section out of you're hand and should land in a pretty circle.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Remember don't throw hard at first, Just try to get the motion down. Always let the loops section "pull" the free hand section out of your hand. If you watch you'll see the loops section ends up as the side of the net directly across from you, and the free hand section is side closest to you if you drew a line across the circle. Hope this helps.

20. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Guys, he's talking about a Super Spreader net. You don't gather them up like you do a regular net, you just grab the ring, drape weights over the top then sling it out there. You have to be tall enough to hold it above the weeds and stuff like he's talking about, in order to use it. Trust me, I"ve got one and I can't use it worth a flip because I'm too short. He is exactly right about why he can't use it. He's too darn short.

If you haven't tried to use one of these nets, then it's hard to imagine... but it's true. If he were just a few inches taller, he'd be fine. True story.