Got a call at 3 am this morning...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A new friend, and soon to be BOC member, Wesley King from North Carolina, invited me to fish the Pee Dee below the hwy 74 bridge this morning. We met at 4 am at the landing there. Unfortunately, the wheels were OFF at the power dam at Blewitt Falls three miles upstream. The river flow was non existent. We ended up catching two gar. Fish were breaking and rolling all around, but they were not hungry. Mullet were doing their normal aerial acrobatics. We fished with fresh shad and herring, and he also tried some specially concocted/marinated squid, to no avail. We were off the river by 9 am, and all went well. That is certainly a treacherous section of the Pee Dee. They don't have the gravel shoals that we have down here. They have BOULDER shoals. The river is only navigable from the landing for about 3/4 of a mile downstream when it's very low. It is not navigable at all upstream past the bridge. Even if you had a jet drive, as low as it was today, getting past the boulder shoals would have been impossible. Here are a couple of pics, one of a determined angler!
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've been up there, too, Bill, and I agree with you. A jet drive is the best option, I guess. :wink:

3. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Woke you up at 3am and on the water by 4am!!!:crazy:

That's Hardcore!!!:wink:

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    not if you know "BigStuff" lol

5. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    That IS hardcore. I would probably slam the phone down! LOL

Gotta respect the sleepy time!

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Believe me, I get more sleep than the average person.

Bill in SC

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Now that is Hardcore fishermen. Thanks for making this post was very informative.

8. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Bill i finnaly made it to the BOC, i've been a lil busy. Be sure to get enough sleep, you might get another call next friday morning at 3am...lol

9. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC, Wesley! Nothing like a 3am Gar fishing trip!:smile2: Throw in a big turtle and it would be like Fishing on Lake Hartwell.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Cool deal, Wesley! Welcome to the BOC!! Believe me, them 3 am calls are gonna result in some hawgs! :cool2:

BB

11. InletFool

InletFool New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey Bill,

My cousin recieves some very large catfish from a friend that fishes that hole below the bridge. 50 lbrs are not uncommon. He fries them up in small chunks and they are fine, real fine.
    The key is the power generation. And alittle rain.

12. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC, Wesley! Glad you "finally" got on here! You're sure to be glad you did.

13. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Welcome aboard, Wesley! Sounds like you're made of hardcore material, too. Three am phone calls? You go, boy!

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! Wesley drives a feed truck for Purdue farms, delivering feed at night for the chicken houses, so being up at 3 am is normal for him. Now, he has a catfish "rig" that is definitely "hardcore". Actually we had talked the day before, and he said he may or may not call me at 3 am. I was ready for the call in any event. There is a 30 foot hole down river right before you get to the boulder shoals, and I have heard of many monsters being pulled from it. As pointed out, the water flow is obviously the key.

Bill in SC

15. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Man, I don't know.... Did you EVER get to sleep while I was down there? I barely got to sleep, and I know YOU were running like crazy! :smile2:

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    When I sleep, I am not spending any money. I slept basically all last week except Friday morning, saving for my trip to the SC BOC gathering at the Santee next weekend. I'll probably stay up for 48+ hours there.

BB

17. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
  18. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Must not be the 'beauty' sleep I hear people talk about!!!:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    That IS hardcore

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! That ain't what the women tell me!! :wink::cool2::eek:oooh:

BB