Got a boat - need advice on trolling motor for my jon boat?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kingdawes, Oct 1, 2007.

1. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I finnally got my first boat. She aint much but shes mine. It's only a 10' v jon but she floats. I need to get a trolling motor and eventually a 5 or so hp outboard. Anybody got any suggestions on a trolling motor. I am probably gonna try and find a cheap used one at first. I am not sure how many foot pounds to want.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    OH NO! Ya went and done it. Ya will never be the same now. LOL! Wish ya nothin but the best with it.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    For a cheap trolling motor I'd suggest garage sales and pawn shops. More garage sales as most people either don't know how to price their used stuff or just don't want to haggle. Pawn shops will want top dollar. For a small outboard I'd suggest the same route, plus possibly e-bay. If you do your shopping right and mind your p's and q's, and know how much used motors are worth, you can make real good buys... don't do your homework and you can be had.

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    congrats on the boat.. i got my first boat this past july.. just like you a ten foot jon... lol i just recently sold her and upgraded to a 16 foot jon. seams like what they say about always wanting bigger is for sure true. I had a great time in my ten footer though. You can find some good deals on used trolling motors on a craigslist.org for your area.. good luck

5. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks bigbb, I will take a gander at it and see what I see.

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If she floats thats good enough!!! It aint the boat that catches fish!!!! I have 35# minkota on my 15 foot semi-V just in case my old johnson konks out. Now is time to hit garage sales. Got mine for $20 bucks. Good luck to you and congrats on your boat. Keep us posted when you name her!!!

7. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You could also check Craig's List.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Shucks is right....do your homework and be careful of what you buy even though I have had good experience with boaters in general...as for the trolling motor I have a 43 thrust on my 15ft lowe jon...you wont need all of that fer a 10fter....but you will have to go transon mt. good luck and be safe

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have an old bow mount that you can have. It needs new plug in and has only one speed--med-high. But if u want it i will ship it too you.