Got a Abu 6500c3 today.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by gadzooks, Oct 7, 2006.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    After much deliberation over three pawnshop reels, as Penn 209, Tidewater 20 L, and a Abu 6500 c3, went for broke and bought a new 6500c3. Decided that I didn't want to fool with another man's troubles if the used reel had problems, didn't know who had it before me. I'm going to put it on my rod before I go to bed and hopefully fish it Sunday or Tuesday. The salesman at Academy put 20 lb Big Game on it, the clear, not my first choice, prefer the Solar Green as I can see it better when drift fishing, but the line was free. Told me that Academy has asked them not to put Big Game on new reels bought there, but as I buy most of my tackle there and talk to him about how he used to sell ladies shoes, also listen to his fishing stories, he'd put it on for me.

It came down to the Penn just being too big of a reel for fishing from my kayak. I'm also familiar with the Abu's, having a 5600c4, with clicker too. The reel felt right in my hands, only a bit wider than my 5600. For now, its going on the Bass Pro Extreme IM 8 medium heavy rod I have my 6600d5 on, that one is going on a n American Rodsmith rod that has a lighter action. The 6600 d5 will be better on that rod. The next step is to get a heavier duty rod for the 6500. I like the Ugly Stick Tigers, but the rod but is a bit large for my kayak rodholders. Also looking at a 7 ft Allstar Gulfstream, it comes in several weight/line classes.

After I'm used to it, the next time I change line, will move to braided. As for the 209 or the 320, both are on my list to get, want one or the other for gar fishing.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Congrats on the new reel. I just picked up two of the Abu 6000 and ordered a Tiger rod, my first.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The decision was easy, the saleman let me play with it a long time. Bad thing to do with a 57 year old kid. My head was singing "I want it..." just like my sons when they were 5-6 years old.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I know that song well and the wife hates it, lol

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Jerry, I love those reels They are great IMO Paired with Benji's New Tiger and you have yourself a wonderful combination.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shelby, is "Benji's New Tiger" an ugly stick or other rod? Haven't herd of that one.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The Tiger is a saltwater rod made by Shakespeare. If you go to the web site it can be found under ugly stick, I think

8. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    Congrates on your purchase. I feel the same way. I look at it like this. Yes; it may have been cheaper but after buying the part to fix it. You could have had a brand new one.:roll_eyes:

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I just assumed it was the tiger ugly stick and They come with a 5 year Warranty

I guess I was right They really make the best poles that there Shakespere.

And for around 55-60 dollars they really don't cost that much.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on getting a real nice reel brother. Good luck with it.

11. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    how does a shimano compare to the abu

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The closest equvalent Shimano's are the Corvalus or Cardiff reels, unless you want to go high dollar and get a calcutta. The two are most likely good reels, I've read some good reviews, but the Corvalus is not equal to the Abu 6500 and cost about the same. The Cardiff, from reviews, is good quality. The problem I have with Shimano, from past experience, is the company will change models and after a while, discontinue parts for the older ones. I've a Shimano Bantam 1000 I can't get parts for. Daiwa does the same. Abu, on the other hand, has built the same reels, with a few changes for a looooooong time. There are so many out there that, should Abu stop making the 5000/6000/7000 series, you could rob no longer functional reels for decades before running out of parts reels.

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jerry Your going to LOVE that reel! The New 6500c3 have the carbon matrix drag washers. Congrats. J.D.