Got a 40 pound Blue Catfish today!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Oct 1, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well my dad got a 40lb Blue Cat today, the fish looked a lot bigger but my scale told me it was 40lb. Here's the report.

We left for the Lake around 5 am, went straight to the bait spot and threw the net a bunch of times and only got 1 big Gizzard Shad. Well we decided to just go ahead out there with that one shad and planned on catching some bream with the bait poles or something. Only one problem though, I forgot to charge the batteries! Well after kicking myself a few times, we just decided to use the trolling motor and go out to a point not far away which is actually one of our best spots anyway. Very nice day on the lake, not as much wind this time thank goodness! So we anchored up, and cut our one Gizzard Shad up into a lot of pretty small pieces. Threw out 5 poles total since we didn't have much bait, took a while but schools of Blue Cats started coming thru. We had a bunch of runs that we missed that I suspect were smaller Blue Catfish. Then my dad hooked one that looked like it could have went 20 pounds but it got off. Then the action slowed down for a little while, so I decided to bait my 2 poles up with the last chunks of bait and throw them out towards the middle of the lake on the edge of the channel. Man it didn't take but a minute and I had some screaming runs, definitely Blue Cats. I don't know what exactly happen, but I just didn't hook them. When I started getting bites out there near the channel my dad put on the very last piece of bait the Gizzard Shad head, which was a huge head actually, and decided to throw it out that way near mine. Then he said, "Okay Zakk, we are going to go in about 10 minutes and try to get more bait, charge the battery, and come back this evening". I agreed with him and started packing the tackle and cleaning up the boat to head in....I look up and my dad's pole is just pumping slowly which is what our biggest Blue's have always done. Then he looked over and saw it doing the same, we both knew it was a nice Blue Cat biting that huge head, well my dad tried to hook the fish with no success. We got bummed for a second about missing the fish, and then my dad started to reel in, about halfway in his pole just loaded up like I've never seen it do before. We both thought he had got hung on something for a second, but then the fish started rolling and pulling drag! "Holy *Bad word*" my dad said, this fish was very big, we both could see that. It pulled a lot of drag and did a lot of rolling but the 10/0 Eagle Claw King Kahle hook was holding it good. After a 7-8 minute fight my dad had the fish beside the boat, I couldn't believe my eyes, this was the biggest fish we have caught in a long time, however we have hooked many as large and bigger that got off. I got it in the net, and grabbed the frame of the net to heave the fish in the boat. It started to thrash around very hard and almost throw my dads bait pole out of the boat. The first thing that was on our mind was getting a picture, and weighing the fish fast so we could release it.

First of all we weighed the fish, scale was bouncing around from the fish thrashing a lot but was staying around 40 pounds. I feel the fish was more like 45-50 pounds but could be wrong I guess. After that I got a few great pictures, including one of my dad releasing the awesome fish to fight another day. At first the fish would not swim off and it didn't look good, but then we remembered what the guide we went out with told us, you have to burp the fish if you get it from deep water. We did that and the fish immiadetely got better, my dad made sure it was ok, and the fish slowly swam down.

We are both pumped about this fish very much, we have had bad luck the past year or two for some reason.

I have 4 pictures to share with you, what do you all think.... 40 pounds or bigger??

Attached Files:

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Wow! I so wish we had those huge Catties up our way! GREAT CATCH!!
    :waaaht: ​

3. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Fantastic fish there Zakk, bet that was exciting. It does look heavier because its so fat, kind of a stubbie too though, either way thats a a$$ kickin fish.

egg

4. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Sounds like you turned what started off as a bad day into something special. Way to go Zakk and dad! Thanks for sharing your story and pics with us.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, it was and still is exciting and felt great to let it go and know it's still there to grow bigger and for someone else to catch one day. The fish is definitely fat, and that's what makes me feel it's bigger then 40lbs, but it could just look bigger then it is. It fought like a 50lber that's for sure.

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Way to go Zakk! That is one healthy fish 40 pounds or 50 it is a nice one regardles Thanks for sharing your story and pics.

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Zakk that is a dandy for sure! I am happy for ya'll. Thanks for the pictures and telling us about it.

st

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys, I think we are going to try to go out this evening for a short trip, but I'm not sure yet....Now I got to get me one like that!

9. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hey Zakk, tell your dad, nice catch from us. That is an awesome fish.
    We went to Lake Mexia this weekend and only caught some bullhead cats but there was another guy fishing the river with Limb lines and was bringing in about 25 channels a night.

Congrats on the nice fish to your dad and thanks for sharing the pics brother.

AL

10. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    great fish, I wish we had fish like that here in Easten Pa.But we don't see many like that ever.:cry:

11. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    that is a really good fish jr. congrats

12. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    Glad too see that you guys got one to the boat it is really satisfying when you have bad luck and lose some and then finally you get a real nice one congrats too both of you and good luck next time.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Great report as always, Zakk. Please tell your dad that we send our heartiest congratulations. It makes me smile to think of BOC fathers and sons spending time together on the water; but it's even better when you pull in a big blue like that, huh? I'm happy that you guys had such a special day, buddy. :smile2:

14. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Zakk, tell your dad congratulations! Great job helping your dad too!

Awesome fish and another great writing job on your part. I love the way you write, you are very talented.

Thanks for sharing!

Barb

15. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Was a great day even with the misses, congrats on the bigun

16. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Zakk, Congrats to your dad on that very nice cat and was great that you could be with him on that catch!! Hope you catch one that size if not bigger on one of your trips!

17. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    thanks for the pics, great catch !

18. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Hey Zakk, great fish. I know it can be very exciying when you are with someone you care about and they carch a great fish. Congratulation Zakk's Dad and Zakk. Way to go! And thanks for sharing your story and pictures with us.

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Way to go! Glad to hear your story; thanks for sharing. That's one nice fish, for sure.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hey buddy, thanks for the great pictures and the big fish.
    I know exactly where yall were skunking them:lol:
    Dont worry little brother, the secret is safe with me.
    There lies bigger ones then that there. Stay on em.