Goose hunt?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Quint, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Did anyone go today? I have not been able to locate any to hunt as of yet! With the new laws heck it should be getting easier right? Bag limit of 8, no plug, eletric callers, and shooting hrs. extended to 30min after sunset. For the early season, crazy! They have to figure out how to get them out of the city limits frist! Maybe that's next? Pick your blind according the the hole on the golf course?

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Thats the problem here. Hardly anybody hunts residents because you cant get them off the golf course or out away from town. Theres a nice pond here that holds geese all year. i would love to hunt it, but its next to the high school, and in town. I think somebody might have a problem with it. :roll_eyes:

3. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Yup. Same here. Resident geese have all the oats fields picked clean by the time the season starts. Once the first volley on the first morning is over with they hug the golf courses and little ponds where they dont get pressured. I had to work and couldnt get out and the birds I had my eye on for the first morning I would be able to get out were G-O-N-E. I know they didnt get shot at but I know they heard shooting over the hill from the field they were feeding in. Now theyre locked up on a pond at an old folks home and eatin grass. Wont get any better either until the silage starts coming off and they cant resist it any longer. Thats still 2 weeks away too. Looks like the only option now is huntin the river and pickin them up as they trade back and forth. Even then the little pricks all congregate at the locks. Oh well a couple more weeks and I'll be bangin flight birds in North Dakota:big_smile:

4. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    One of the guy's I hunt with had some friends go down to Sharron Harris opening day with a guide killed 75! Found some geese in a corn field working on lineing up the hunt. Do have premission to hunt the field did hunt it a few times last year. There is one slight problem its a real big field with one house at one end where a Minister lives and his German wife. They do not own the field and the Minister has no problem with us hunting the field. Last year the geese were useing the field close to the house. We were hunting had several good volleys, then the Minister left home, then had a pair come in killed both but one was a cripple and walked over into their yard. The German lady came out of the house raiseing HECK that in Germany they do not belive in hunting, and going to call the law etc. We talked with the minister after he still has no problem and neither does the land owner. I sure hope the geese are useing the field father away from their house. lol. I have not gone out to watch the geese yet, I think one of my hunting partners was going this morning.

5. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Posted a mistake on daily bag limit it went from 5 to 8 last year and to 15 this year!!! A-lot of fun on a good day, until picking time!

6. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Well the geese have not been back? But only a real small section of the field has been cut and resowed in wheat. The turkeys and doves are still useing it. I feel like the geese will return, but it might take some more cutting of the corn?

7. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    That sucks Chris. Aint much goin on up here either. For some reason they are crushin the birds in Ohio but over here they just dont seem to be as available this year. Got some this weekend but there was very little shooting going on. 11 between 2 guys is nothing for early season. Just gotta keep bangin away. These morons up here are hunting the roosting ponds and it really has the birds messed up.

8. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Yea I know what you're going through! We have 1,000 acre water shed and up until a couple year ago you could not hunt the upper end 1/4 of the lake. A major roost for both migratory and resident geese but not any more! They have moved to water sheds about 20 miles south that do not allow any hunting at all. And useing city grounds to feed for the most part.