Goose Down Long Johns

Discussion in 'Fishing Clothing Review' started by TOPS, Nov 29, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have found some goose down long johns, They are expensive but I know they will keep me warm while I am skip jack fishing for bait in the winter. Have any members tried the goose down long johns? :confused:

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Never tried those Top. I wear the double paned ones you can get from Wally World for about 15 bucks and a set of insulated bibs. My bibs are not Carharts, but very close to the same and I stay nice and toastie. Those double panes are very much better than the old style long handles like the army used to issue.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Top,
    I think you will like them a lot. I have never had goosedown longjohns but I have had several items of goosedown clothing and a sleeping bag. It will do the job for you. Just don't start running around honking and cr@pping all over the place :) ...W

4. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    goose down longjohns Hmmm put those on verlon, then your red coat and hat and guess what? Santa lmao ;) LOL (inside Joke)

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Top, Goose down is an excellent insulator and for a time was the premier cold weather apparel.I have so much Eddie Bauer Goose Down stuff that my picture is up in every Goose Post Office across the land.It is however ,bulky and when wet loses its insulating properties and as you have found out expensive.I would also warn that all that is feathers is not necessarily goose down.It should tell you the quality somewhere on the label and it might be expressed as loft ie 400 count etc.The bulk is the key to GDs warmth.When it gets compressed it loses that capability, that is why the Armed Services don't use it much.Todays synthetic fibers are ALMOST as warm,retain their insulating properties when wet and don't compress as much.If you are sitting then the GD is going to get compressed,and once wet you are going to shiver.Bryan the services are pretty much going to the UNDER ARMOUR brand and synthetics to replace those God awful old itchy long johns we used to get.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    What type of long john would you reccomend, I am very cold natured and will need something very warm.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Top I'm not saying you shouldn't get GD.Check in Cabelas master catalog thats where I get my cold weather clothing and they have many types of under wear.I'm just trying to keep you informed so you can make a good choice.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jim, cabelas is where I found the goose down would be over $100.00 for both top and bottom. would like to find something cheaper and requirs less maintance. Maybe I will just plain old long johns ans some good bib over-alls . How can I tell if the over-all will be what I am lookinf for? will they have a tag saying should keep you warm at a certain tempature.

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Verlon, I'm using the Remington thermals from Wal-Mart. Only cost $30 for a set, and they keep me fairly warm.
    Will

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Do you have their catalog?Look at some of the other stuff.I don't have one in hand but there is some great stuff there.I use MTP and the CWS patterned after the new military gear is very good also.Get expediton weight if you get cold easily and a union suit is warmer than two separate pieces.None of it is "Cheap" but GD requires care ,special washing techniques and eventually loses its loft while the synthetics keep going like the energizer bunny.