Goose decoys

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Bigbluefisherman, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am looking to getting into the goose hunting, Does anyone know of anyone wanting to sell some field decoys?? I would hate to go out and buy new decoys @ $100 for 4 of them and I know a guy needs about 2-3 dozen minimum to get started! Thanks

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I wish I had some better advise for ya but I don't. This isn't the best time of year to be looking for decoys. Back in February, guys were unloading them for $200 a dozen. I frequent several waterfowl hunting sites and haven't seen any for sale in a while. Me and my buddies chipped away at our spread a little at a time and have about 5 dozen now. But when starting out, don't be affraid to get a 4 pack or two of full bodies and a dozen shells and/or a dozen silos. Heck, I have a buddy that hunts with 2 dozen silos and that's it. He hammers the geese, but he's where they want to be too.:lol: Good luck

3. mashunter18

mashunter18 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah you can get some cheap shells to get you started. Probually will be hard to get them though this time of year.

4. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Some good deals on ebay, some not so good. Sometimes the bidding gets carried away and it may or may not end up being a bargin.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The thing I've noticed with buying dekes off of Ebay is the shipping usually kills you. It's hard to compete with the price of shipping from the big players like Cabelas or Bass Pros. I just got a dozen geese from Cabelas and the shipping was only $14. From a private seller like on Ebay, they would have charged at least $60+ for shipping. Just do the math and make sure the deal isn't too good to be true.

6. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    It all depends..... The shipping cost is the first thing to check out on ebay. Some gouge you plenty and some shipp at a fair price. Good point tho...

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    If your just getting started,buy some day old bread or popcorn.Geese decoy real well to them at local parks :big_smile: :lol: :big_smile:

8. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey there cook....I will have to try that....LOL

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Now if it were only legal to hunt there. :lol: That's part of the problem with the city geese. They got everything they need right there in the office complexes and parks to survive. No need for them to migrate any more. A lot of states have a "nuicense" season on them but all the "nuicense" birds are loafing in the city areas. Go figure:lol: :lol:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    when i decided to start a goose guiding service back in 1980 i was 18 and big bucks were hard to get but i saved till i finally bought 3 doz flambeau mag shells for 110.00 a doz i havent been goose hunting in 14 years no i wont sell them but i will help with any layout questions or such my daughter is 9 and my son has a 6 mo. old daughter so i gotta keep em till i can let them experience the thrill of 40 or so geese honkin an poopin till i say take em