Goose Creek Reservoir

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zivetor, Feb 1, 2007.

1. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Does or Has anyone here fish/ed the Goose Creek Reservoir for Catfish? If so what is your favorite bait to use, and what style of fishing do you use. Drifting or Still fishing. I have fished there a few times. I have caught 3 Bull head catfish so far on differnt fishing trips. The first ever was on a Charlie Brewers Grub while trolling for white perch and brim. 2nd and third time was using minnows close to the spill way fishing in the channel that is about 14 feet. I have caught 1 crappie out of there and that was about it. I haven't had alot of luck there, maybe I am doing something wrong.. All advice will be greatly appreciated..

Lenny

2. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I asked the same question about a year and a half ago without much success in getting responses. My experience, as of last year, was kinda hit and miss. I caught a few blues, and 2flathead, and quite a few large bullhead throughout the summer evenings.I cut up a couple of the white perch i catch out there( caught a good few upwards of2lbs) There are a few decent lilypad patches that i catch good shellcracker and a few hit n miss crappie out of. From May throughout the fall, i caught limits of nice bream by trolling along the banks until i found em beddin. I also had good fun on the bass on topwater at night. One night i talked with a guy who was on his way out to catfish out there and he said he tears em up in that channel going to nad road. Said he catches em there and anywhere else there's 12+ft of water. I still havent put a whole lot of time or effort into the catfish out there. but they are there(not very big from what ive seen/heard). I hope this helps you out somehow.

3. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    BTW, I dont get a whole ton of chances to get on the water any more. But if you wanna get out there some time this spring/summr..let me know.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Lenny I never fihed the main lake but I did fish the canals around Goose Creek with some success. Always caught a mixed bag of fish, from what I can recall about it. Sorry I couldn't be much help. I hope someone can offer more information.

5. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Lenny,
    I have fished it several times a last summer. Never caught anything over 3-6 lbs, but nice eating size. Did see a fellow that brought one in last year that was around 20 lbs. Best bait I have seen is white perch or shad that are in the lake. Try find the road that runs down the middle of the lake, or some deeper holes greater that 10 feet. I have only found a couple and they located towards the uppper end before you get the creek.Hope this helps.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I actually have fished that but it was a few years ago when I was down there visiting my cousin Mark Breon. I forget what we were using but I remember using local nightcrawlers though. Probably chicken livers though. Also seen the Goose Creek Symphony (it's a band) LOL Good Luck & tight lines to ya'!

7. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I plan to go out to gcr this evening. i went out for a couple hours in the early part of last week and i talked with this guy i saw out there alot last year and he told me that the only thing he's been catchin out there is catfish on worms on bottom in 14ft. Im gonna try some shad and herring i caught this mornin. If i do any good ill post.

8. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Phatkat,

I look forward to reading your GCR report. I have been wanting to fish so bad, but I am working alot these days.. I will be going at it Next week for sure.. I will be off Monday thru Thursday.. Good Luck and I hope you catch many.. Oh BTW thanks for you last GCR info you gave me in your IM.. Last year in Late March Early April we did pretty good on the Black Bettle spins with a gold blade and the Lime Treuse Zoom Trick WORM, the Biggest bass I seen come out of there was on a white Trick worm Directly across the Boat Landing in where those branches stick out of the water..

Good Luck

Lenny

9. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    sorry im just gettin back on here. I used the shad i caught frm rdiversion. I caught about a dozen bullhead and a couple small blues. All at the mouth of the creek channel going to nad road. Then, i went back friday evening with crappie minnows and i caught 17 vnice crappie strait across from the landing in the stump pile to the right. I wont b off till thursday-tuesday, so i wont be able to get back out. I told a buddy from wrk and he wnt yestrday evening and is goin back this evening. He caught 12 i think in the same spot. Only fishin 2ft deep. Any deeper and i caught bullhead.

10. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I just re read ur message zivetar. That same mini stumpfield where u said the big bass came from is where im talkin about with the crappie. if you notice, there are two. one to the right and one to the left. the one to the right (if ur facing that bank) has alot more branchy underwater structure and it rides all the way up the bank under the matgrass. In the early part of the evening i fish the sticks right in front of the matgrass, then later, they seem to move out more toward the open brush.

11. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    :big_smile: Phatcat, Thank you so much for the info.. Me and my daughter are going to go give it a try today.. If you come out there, I will be in a Green Alumacraft Jon boat, with a 25 hp evenrude. Come fish by us even if we are there. We can talk more about fishing, and maybe we can share some fishing spots.. I

We are gonna try crappie fishing today.. I was going to go to the lake but they said it was white capping so I figured I would go to the reservoir..

Oh BTW, were do you work.. I noticed you work shift work too. I work at BP chemical plant it used to be AMOCO Chemical. the one in Cainhoy..

Well have a great day..

Lenny

12. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Hey, I hope u and ur daughter caught em good the other day. Im in a blueish green javelin. I went out for an hour or so yesterday evening. I caught 4 crappie and a short bass. I was way underdressed so i had to get off the water. I intend to go out this evening. Im off til tuesday so if u are off and you wanna hook up give me a call. No prob on the info sharin man. I dont know a whole lot but i dont mind sharin what seems to work 4me.

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Royal does your boat have a 50 hp Johnson on it?

14. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I have a 19.5ftjavelin w/150 evinrude. went right after wrk this mornin since im off for the next few days. I caught 4 crappie(two of them were small). the wind was really high and i was underdressed for the cold so i came in after 2hrs. wish i could go back 2nite but i gotta take the wife to Charlotte. I'll be back monday and have tuesday/wednesday off too so if u wanna hook up give me a call.

15. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I haven't fished for cats in there. But there is some good crappie fishing up on the right side before you get to the inlet for the power plant. I drift back towards the landing with chartruse grub tipped with minnows. Hope this helps .