goose calls

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by dan 1989, Dec 7, 2005.

1. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    im looking into getting a goose call and have never used one before what would be the easiest to learn and use?

2. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    I personally use a Canada Hammer acrylic short reed call which sells for under $100 but I also own a Canada Hammer II poly carb short reed which sells for around $20 and it sounds great it just does not get as loud as the acrylic.Both of these calls are made by Buck Gardner and are easy to blow.

I think if you are going to learn a goose call that learning a short reed is the best way to go because it takes less air to blow and it is easier to keep rolling due to less breathing time.

It may be a little harder than a flute to learn but it is well worth it.

3. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    easiest i have ever use is made by kwacker wacker calls...very nice call..most all flute style calls are easy to learn to use and if ya want a really good sounding call tha twont cost y an arm and a leg get a knight& hale double cluck.they are abit harder to learn cause they require you to exhale and inhale but the sounds are awsome.good luck

4. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    i talked to a buddy last night he had a mike lacy short reed and i tried to blow it but could not get any thing out of it do they make any like duck calls that u just blow into? thanks for the suggestions guys

5. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    a flute is the closest thing to a duck call - as far as being easy to make noise on but if you are willing to spend a little more time and learn to blow the short reed call you will find that it takes a lot less air and you will be much happier with the call. (even girls like my wife can blow a buck gardner short reed goose call :) even though she can't blow a duck call yet)

6. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    Buck Gardners are great calls. ( I met him awhile back at the Nebraska Outdoor Expo....a heck of a great guy. He knows his stuff that's for sure! ) Along with the Canada Hammer I used the Zinks "power clucker" and the "power maximus"to learn on..... along with Fred Zinks "Ancient art of PARALYZING -talk the talk" video. That video is a GREAT teaching tool. Jeff Folies has some good teaching videos out too. Watching those videos and practicing helps get through the off season! :D