google treats employees like royalty

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Jan 2, 2008.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i heard about some of the crazy generous perks google employees get to day on the radio like gourmet meals in house doctor oodles of paid holidays and vaction time unlimited sick days etc etc.
    i thought it was untrue , but after looking it up i guess it was right on the money !
    how about that? i'd like to see employers appreciate their work force more
    even a fraction of these benifits would be great to me.
    way too go google leaders .
    http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1690

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They better enjoy it while they can. It wont last.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like they treat thier workers like human beings and not just a NUMBER. Too bad more companys don't follow thier lead. Be a lot less stress in the work place I bet.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Google knows how to keep good people. More companies should try some or all of that.

The company I worked for once gave everyone a years family membership at a new YMCA. A bunch of us starting working out at the gym and playing handball. But it only lasted for a year. They did furnish us coffee and ice tea at work but no meals unless you had to stay over on overtime, then you got a free TV dinner. LOL

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

Hard to say, out there in Cali its a different world.. The tech sector is HIGHLY competitive and companies bend over backward trying to recruit/retain their employees... It would surprise you what ALOT of them do out there..

Free Meals are a pretty much a standard. Now they are inviting employees from their competition over for free lunches in hopes of they can bond with their employees and they can get the option to recruit them.. There are groups out there that just travel from place to place everyday for lunch. And thats just the mild stuff heh....

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Sounds like a good place to work.

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    according to top brass they say it will only get better
    as crappy as i am treated id be happy with a few paid holidays and
    a vacation setup . oh and a raise here and there .:big_smile:

8. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I read that too, somewhere back a while. I think it's wonderful that the company shows the employee that they are valued, even treasured. That is the key to employee satisfaction, I believe. Those people that feel valued in thier job will be there, doing everything that they can to be as productive as possible.
    The employer that treats the employee with the attitude of most employers; that 'take it or leave it, you can be replaced today', lose more than they gain. Those employees give what it takes to keep thier jobs (most of the time) and always have a watchful eye out for greener pastures. They are the ones that USE thier sick time/vacation time etc. Those are the ones that steal that five or ten or thirty minutes a day from the employer by coming in late, leaving early or taking thier time at lunch. Those are the ones that spend productive time complaining or bringing moral down across the board.
    I have a good employer, for the most part. We don't get free lunches nor memberships to the club. However, it is a non-profit organization and we are included in the plan. If budgets are met, customers are happy and profit is made; we all get a teeny cut each year. It's cool. It's incentive!

On the other hand. Someone got this brilliant idea to stop folks from coming n late. The rule came into effect that if you were even ONE minute late clocking in, you would be reprimanded. The reprimands grow in severity to the conclusion of discharge. Now, to make sure we don't clock in even ONE minute late, most of us clock in 15 minutes early! Add that up over a years time and see how much they "gained". They pay clock time!

All that said. There isn't a job around that doesn't have it's pros and cons. Gotta ride the coaster, pay the bills, go home and enjoy my time.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    A lot of big name tech places opperate and run business as such. I read in an month of Wired Magazine that some even have in house masseuses. I know back in the day, Microsoft and others allowed employees to work when they felt like it. They just had a deadline for a project that must be met. As long as it was met, you could do as you please or work from the house. That is of course in regards to a lot of the programmers.

10. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I have a cousin that works for them in Ann Arbor Mi. and said its all you have said and more,they even get paid extra if they dont drive to work he lives a couple blocks from the office and rides a bike or walks.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats why I say enjoy it while you can. When a company is being run by folks slinging the dough it aint going to last.
    The techies go in roughly 10 year cycles. Notably about every 10 years this industry crashes and burns while it waits for new technologies. Dont feel bad, it happens to the technology techy people to.

A smart run company, one that will be here for a long. would be offering a good package and putting back for the hard times so the good package can stay in place.

Honestly, I wouldnt go to work for a company slinging dough around stupidly except as a temporary position. I sure wouldnt expect to make a career there. I dont care for unemployment no more then the next man.

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :smile2:as much as some of us volenteer to sit in front of the puter ......we could be diong allright:wink:Ofcourse I would havge to get much smarter than I am withe these machines.

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gee, it seems something good turns to a negative.
    Mark, how do you know they are slinging dough around stupidly. Just cause they be taking care of employees doesn't mean they are throwing away dough stupidly. By what I read, they be smarter than the average bear. LOL. It may not be the standard greedy way of operating a business but it seems to be working well for them and maybe set a standard for the rest. You get quality by giving quality.
    They could do what some employers , CO's do, hire low class/quality, maybe illegals etc. employee's who claims they can only stay in business if they hire those type. Maybe send all their jobs overseas or have some mim wage phone jockey sitting in their underwear at home who I cant understand and doesn't seem to care or advise me on product problems.
    I read google profits was in the millions/ worth billions and always going up. Also they like anyone has ups and downs but nothing close to the red zone. Maybe they wouldn't be so successful if they ran their co. with less appreciation to their employee's. Doesn't look like the top search engine is hurting and some I read says they be expanding to other things.
    I think for now they dont have to worry about employee's going union or Co going broke and a Gov. bail out. IMO, From what I read which anyone can do a google search and read same, what they are doing, seems to be working good for them and the consumer. Guess it means, more people get a slice of the pie which means more people have more say over things.
    with googles secuss, I think they will continue baking pies so more can get a taste of it. LOL. Its their business, just like anything else, let them run it they way they choose..
    Only argument I see is positive, until something changes in the negative, the red zone for them , all I can say is, team work, Go google and go Pats. LOL. :wink::smile2::big_smile:

14. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i cant see how there treatment of employees is any more stupid than a pro sports franchise giveing athletes millions of dollars a season win lose or draw
    maybe they are trying to guarantee a successful team .
    it seems to me that with the incentitives these employees recieve that they
    would be a pretty gung ho group and go the extra mile make google a successful money maker.
    you would definantly be spoiled rotten working for them .
    after those perks any other job would be like OFFICE SPACE.....
    did you get the memo about the cover sheet for the tps reports??
    peettteerrrrr hows it goin ? yyeeahhh im gonna have to ask you to go ahead and come in tommorrow yyeaaahhh and while your at it if you could come on in sunday too that would be grreeeaaatttt.
    :smile2:

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    They put in a fishing hole and bait shop on the property and my resume is on the way, PRONTO. :eek:oooh:

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My friends in Europe laugh at us and wonder what is wrong with our government when workers only get one or two weeks vacation. Most of them start off with a month vacation a year. It's no wonder we don't have a lot of Western European immigrants coming here anymore.

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Do you know something the rest of the world, and Google, doesn't? Should we be selling off our Google stocks? Have you considered calling them and offering them some investment advise? Maybe they will offer you that temporary position to supplement your income. LOL

18. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    As was stated earlier there a many companies in that part of CA and all across the USA that do things like google is doing. I am in sales and cover Silicon Valley as my customer base. I know many at google and apple and employees are treated great. Many of the companies are also moving to the 4 day work week or they just give every other Friday off. There are some that also force their employees to take time off if they have worked to many days in a row. This forced time off is not vaction or sick time and it is paid.

And for the comments about the sector running in 10 year cycles and a smart company would be putting things back in a package, I can tell you first hand that is happening. You would not know believe the packages these compaines give as well as the 401 and stock programs they give. Bottom line is they take care of their people.

And just for good measure Googles stock closed out today at $657 a share. And below is a link to a chart that shows the last five years stock preformance. Looks to me like they are doing something right.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GOOG&t=5y

19. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Yeh what a great company. They help the Communist China sensor certain search words. They and yahoo should be proud! they got to make that money.
    Bill