Google Maps VS MapQuest

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Trahviiz, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I was reading a post somewhere on here and seen someone say that sometimes the MapQuest images are clearer than the Google Earth images. So I decided to take MapQuest for a spin in some of the spots I fish.

This appeared on MapQuest, but not Google Earth. Is it a hole, shadow, or just shallow? There doesn't appear to be anything large enough to cast a shadow in that area so I'm hoping to count that one out.

These pictures are of the exact same spot, first Mapquest, second Google. Both seem to be different times of year if that means anything.

Attached Files:

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    could be a cloud? those cast shadows in odd shapes:cool2:

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Water clarity changes day to day also, that may be the difference. Or maybe a REALLY BIG school of shad. :eek:oooh:

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    It would be tough to say...pics could be taken at different times of the year and/or even different years...maybe even a couple years apart. The "shadow" could be a bed of aquatic vegetation, sometimes those can show up on good aerial photos.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats a good question Travis. im leaning towards water clarity so far. i found a submarine cruising clear lake indiana a couple years ago! thats the weirdest thing i have seen on there yet.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's a northern pike preparing to eat a bluegill... can't you tell?:roll_eyes: Look again :wink:

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dunno... it might be a flattie though:confused2: lol

8. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
  9. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
  10. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Another factor would be that a river changes from year to year due to floods/current ect. what was a hole last year could be filled in this year.

11. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Now that you mention it, it does! :smile2:

All in all, I'm doubtful it's actually anything. I just get hopeful, good spots are slim pickin's around here, and this will by my first year targeting flatties from the start.

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

cool link brother thanks! i already found some new spots on a favorite lake. the birds eye view is very nice.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    wonder what that says about you,in an ink blot test. lmao good eye!

14. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would almost be willing to bet money that it is shadows from cloud. How these programs work is taking lots and lots of pictures from different times and different angles. Ever wonder how weird it is that you don't look at a cloud on them, the sky is always clear. This is because the computer programs have 'patched' together a bunch of pictures, but sometimes the shadows from clouds to remain.

Could be a monster pike or flattie though, I know I've caught em' that big :smile2:

15. deer74turkey

deer74turkey New Member

State:
    LaPorte, Indiana
    Another view you can check out is the migration map on ducksunlimited.com. Maybe that will help you out.

16. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Thanks, welcome aboard!