Google Earth

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Vukhufu, May 6, 2008.

1. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This came up in another topic so I thought I'd go ahead and start one here. Google Earth is a free download. You may spend more time looking for your bank spot from space than actually fishing! I hope that isnt the case, but if you are unaware of this free amazing download, check it out, find your spot and post back if it helped you! Just be aware that you cant see no tresspassing signs from space. That sweet inside bend sandbar you see from space... yep .. its prison land .. dont even try lol!

Also keep in mind its a few years dated.. for example when you zoom in on the 207 bridge just north of chillicothe, its still under construction yet it was completed years ago. Check it out! I hope this helps someone find a sweet bank spot like it did for me.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have used google earth to find info about areas I plan to fish, especially for tournaments when there is no opportunity to prefish.

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have it on my computer but is so out of focus it is pretty useless.May need to add new video card.
    Jake

4. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I like this one better than google earth. Some places you can get a birds eye veiw, so good you can count the people standing there. It asks you to download the 3d version but you don't need to. No download and better veiws.
    http://maps.live.com/

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mapquest has the same thing. map out an address and click on aerial view. it gives you an interactive map just like google does. even better, it shows a lot of stuff that is blurred in google.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have succesfully used google earth to check out the areas I fish and find potentially better places to fish in the same area. I think it is a great tool and fun to use.

7. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i did a thread about this very topic a while back, yes when using those type of services they are dated, i use these every day for my job, the best thing to use is the county gis

for Chillicothe: http://co.ross.oh.us/Auditor/PropertySearch/Map.aspx

under that map click on layers and then click on Basemap, under base map youll see Aerial Photography 2007, 2005, 2002.

almost all counties in ohio have some sort of GIS, and this information is very valuable, you will be able to tell if its private property or public or you can get owner information and possibly contact them about possibly fishing a stretch of water that there land is adjacent too.

you can also access topographic information as well.

if anyone has any other questions feel free to post up and ill answer to the best i can.

here is the link to the thread:http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78146

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    good posy makes things much easier rick