Goodness Gracious have you guys heard of Mondo rods! what a crook!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by jldean23, May 22, 2020.

1. jldean23

jldean23 Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Name:
    Jeremy Dean
    Thats more to what i am getting at a chevy at a lambo price. I just ordered a slime cat rod the special edition green camo foam xmh 7'6 rod cant wait to try it. If you let these companies sell at these prices or pull a team catfish eventually we will have to pay $199 for a e-glass rod built like a mondo with no high end parts.

I know ppl can buy what they want if they want too and ppl can charge what they want. But if its a custom made rod why is there only one color?? Why cant you choose the better reel seat if its custom made or etc it all seems fishy to me.

I cant wait to see a slime rod under the uv light and see it shine!!

Flat Top, Nuclear Bill and ramon06 like this.
  2. Rockabilly-Angler

Rockabilly-Angler Well-Known Member

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    The Big Cat Fever Rods have that UV reactive stuff too. I have to be Honest here; I LOVE watching how that Rod looks after it's soaked up some Sun for a little while and then I stick it in the Garage where it's Dark, LOL it looks AWESOME. Specially because I've got 50 Pound Slime Line on it, so the Line does the same thing ;)

One of the things that made me want to try out Slime Line, which was a stretch for me (Haha Mono Pun!) was that I saw a video showing what it looked like with a Black Light shinning on the Line. I mean, I expected quite a lot from this line, because Catch The Fever makes very few things, and makes them well! My Big Cat Fever Rods are without a doubt the BEST Rods I have EVER had. I can't even imagine trying to improve on them.... Other than making them even Heavier so you could cast 5 pounds out if you wanted, LOL. (Don't laugh TOO hard there..... Casting that much weight is exactly what you'd be doing to set another Flathead World Record, since that fish had a 36 pound Buffalo Carp in it's stomach!) but anyway, back to my point:

Slime Line is Mono, and Mono is cheap and readily available at any store you go to that has a fishing aisle so other than the Abrasion Resistance, I also like that it's super cheap. I like thick line because the thicker the line the more abrasion it can take without snapping, and for everyone that thinks Fluorocarbon is somehow better, take a wooden dowel and wrap it in sand paper, and put the same pound test Fluorocarbon and Mono next to each other, and you'll see for yourself with a simple at home test that the Fluorocarbon snaps first every time. Or at least every time I've seen this stuff happen.

But Mono is still not only cheaper than every other type of line, that stretch can work FOR you, specially if you're using a Circle Hook.... I'm not sure a Circle Hook would even work if you used Braid and Graphite Rods unless you spent MAJOR money on those whatever they are specialty graphite blends that some places uses, but I'm guessing the hook up ratio would be low if it actually managed to set one. It would probably yank the hook out of the mouth of it though before it could set.

This is what Slime Line looks like with one of those lights on it:

You can see it looks AWESOME, and I've been using nothing but Slime Line lately, even though I've been a die hard fan of Berkley Big Game, I wanted to give them a chance, so I ordered a 1 pound spool of 50 pound Slime Line, and then I grabbed my new Machete, and started "stress testing" pieces of that line to see how it handled being beat up, and I was Honestly a little surprised at how well it handles nicks and cuts and how strong it is.

I still like my Berkley Big Game, and I still like my Berkley XT, but on my bigger Rods and Reels, I use nothing but Slime Line now.

Now, if you use Braid and Graphite Rods and that works out for you, then awesome, use it. But I like the gear I like.

ramon06, Flat Top and Brackish*Water like this.

3. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Not to get off topic but they estimated that bigmouth buffalo, that was found in the world record flatheads stomach, to be roughly 14 lbs and 28 inches.

4. jldean23

jldean23 Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Name:
    Jeremy Dean
    Whisker seeker orange line and big game solar glows under my uv light. Big game is the brightest, are you saying slime line is brighter than others? I have had not one breakoff ever on big game, i use 40lb big game and 50lb clear big game as a leader.

Now braid is useless for catfishing in my river. With all the barges carrying coal and etc the lose wire tie-offs all the time or just metal in general. I cant count how many time i would hook a fish and bam line cut like a hot knife through butter.

Nuclear Bill, ramon06 and Flat Top like this.
  5. lonelyfarmgirl82

lonelyfarmgirl82 Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Mary

Sounds like a rip off lol

ramon06 likes this.
  6. jldean23

jldean23 Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Name:
    Jeremy Dean
    Lol ha ha just a lil bit!!!

lonelyfarmgirl82 and ramon06 like this.
  7. lonelyfarmgirl82

lonelyfarmgirl82 Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Mary
    Got to be careful out here, that's why I'm always very sceptical about trying new products.

JeffB1961 and ramon06 like this.
  8. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Active Member

State:
    collins mo
    Name:
    Jim Wainwright

ramon06 likes this.
  9. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Active Member

State:
    collins mo
    Name:
    Jim Wainwright
    Good read, Thanks for report,

10. BCT

BCT Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Chris
    Same here! I always do my research before I buy anything.

11. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    Ahh OK. I read it was heavier, but then again, doesn't mean it was true either heh. Either way, casting a 10+ pound fish for bait, starts making those big reels I like not so funny cause you'd need one to handle the terminal end lol.

12. rnickel17

rnickel17 Well-Known Member

State:
    Aurora, IL.
    Name:
    Ray
    I actually own the Mondocat Flex Rod, but was able to get it when they first started selling these rods so it was almost have the cost.

They actually are an Awesome Rod! and I want to buy the New Blue cat Rod they sell, BUT that price is just too steep when I know I can get a US Tiger Rod to do what I want for $70.

If they dropped the price down close to the low $100’s , I’d buy one in a second.

The components are high quality, I love the action, you can beat the heck out of it and it’ll keep goin.

Just the price seems a little high, for what I can get in a lower priced rod for now.

Flat Top, ramon06 and Brackish*Water like this.
  13. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    To be Honest, if I had about 70 dollars and wanted a GOOD Rod? I'd get either a Big Cat Fever Rod, or a Warrior Cat Rod. Essentially; Pure S-Glass, or Pure E-Glass.

Nuclear Bill and Flat Top like this.