Goodbye Elwood

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by uglymike, Apr 3, 2008.

1. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Just wanted to let everyone know that if you like fishing Elwood you'd better get out there this spring. There was a piece on our local T.V. last night about the decline of the lake due to low water levels. It's presently at 12% capacity! Yes, 12% ....I predict that if CNPPD doesn't put some water in there within the next month or so, by the end of this summer there's going to be a MASSIVE fish die off. This is one of my "home" lakes, and it's going to break my heart to see it. Presently, if you've got a big boat, you're going to find it difficult, if not impossible, to launch your boat. Thank God I've got a "skinny water" boat (Lowe roughneck #1652) 50 hp Merc. and can launch my boat, with some difficulty. Have to wear my waders, and use my Minn Kota Edge trolling motor to get out to water deep enough to fire up the Merc. I try to look one the bright side, the place will probably be a varmint hunters heaven this winter 'cause they'll sure have plenty of fish to eat!!!:sad2:

2. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree that this at one point in the 90's and early 2000's this the best lake in the state for several species. The catfishing was incredible!!! I think that its a bunch of BS that there is no water in this lake and that they are not going to put any water in this lake. What the heck is the G and P thinking. What is the state thinking. I can't believe that fishing has fallen victim to politics. I guess that I shouldn't be surprised, becasue politics have runied America and what we are and stand for. I am hot!!! This sucks!!!

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bummer:angry:, Sorry to hear this. It's a cryin shame i can't send you some of the excess we have here. Not workin today cause of the rain.:confused2:

4. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It's crap we have plenty of water, it's politics that decided where the water is going to go!

5. baldy804

baldy804 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    sorry to hear about the lake levels i live just to your west in wyoming and weve lost 2 lakes because of the drought and looks like greyrocks is next at about 12 % aswell although the snow in the mountains this year will hopefully help there reporting 120% of normal snow pack in high country

6. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am sad to hear about the lost of the lakes becasue of the drought. The snow will surly help you, if you got that much. We need all the water we can get. The water that is pumped into Elwood comes from a canal system and its a matter of them directing the water down the canal to Elwood. I know that we need more rain but I don't believe that this is the only problem. Certain people in power that don't understand how to use there power or are misusing it.

7. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Man that sucks !!! I never could figure out why the level at Elwood was low like this , they seem to be able to keep water in Johnson lake !! Isn't that basicly the same water supply ? I thought the tri county canal supplied the water for both. It's all from the Platte River to start out with anyway isn't it ??
    Anyway it's a dam shame they wont do anything about it looks like they could put some water in even if they didn't fill it.
    Hopefully they will pull they're heads out !!!!

8. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yes, they need to pull there heads out. I do believet that Johnson and Elwood are part of the same canal. But even if it's not, why is Johnson not suffering like Elwood?? I am sure that Johnson produces more revenue for the state. Maybe one reason? The fishery was so good and is still preaty decent at Elwood. We went there last year and still did good on the cats!! Biggest was 18lbs. Alot of 6-10 lbs still in there. It is a shame. I wonder if there is anything that we can do as citizens??

9. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'm going to go to Neb. fish and games site and see if there is some one I can email for more info I have emailed them in the past and they seem pretty good about getting back to ya I'll let you know if I find anything out

10. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It's a start!! Nebraska needs water in that lake for the farmers and the fishery. Let me know what you find out, or how I can help!!

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Johnson Lake and Elwood are part of the same canal, but the outlet canal from Johnson Lake feeds the hydro-power plant downstream. Elwoods water is diverted from the canal upstream from Johnson Lake, right by the inlet of Johnson Lake. Yeah, It's a shame and I'm really angry with the so-called water shortage. Yeah! right. Elwood's purpose is supposed to be for irrigation. So what are the farmers going to do? Dig wells? I love this lake. It has been my go to lake for 15 years. I have caught numerous trophy fish out of this lake. Something logical has to happen or we can kiss this lake goodbye. Hope Central Public Power is reading this. Get the picture!!

12. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Farmers that have been depending on that water for years now are going to have to find water and dig wells?? I don't know how much that is going to cost, but doesn't seem right for the farmers either. I thought one of our revenues as a state is through agriculture?? I think the state needs to re-open the book on this case? Is anyone else seeing the picture? I don't know of anyone that has fished Elwood to say that it doesn't hold monster fish. I would like to know, how is making this call and why. What is the reasoning to hurt the farmers and the fishery??? Is it a money issue?? Can someone shed a little light on this subject?? We as brothers of BOC need to take massive action!!!!!!!

13. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I talked to a guy today from the Holdrege office of CNPPD, and he said that Elwood can't get water if there's no water to divert. It all comes from Big Mac, and that hasn't been full since 1999...The thing that everyone needs to keep in mind is that canal/reservoir system is there for irrigation/power. NOT FISHING!! That's just frosting on the cake. Adios 20#+ channels, 8#+ walleyes, 45"+ muskies, and (my favorites) those drag screamin' 10# wipers.:angry:

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Well I hope mother nature can help us! Hopefully the mountain snow in the high country can be of use for us. Like last year they ran water into Elwood Res. for about a week or so. That helped sustain it for awhile. I'm hoping it's the same scenario this year. I'll miss that lake for sure if it dries up. Such a damn waste. Great fishery, beautiful lake in general. I understand the lake is for irrigation purposes only, but the lake had great potential as a trophy fishery. To bad it has to happen this way. I believe there is to much water wasted and there has to be active measures taken to ration the resource. We've had bad years in the 1980's for moisture and the lakes didn't suffer. Somebody somewhere is suffering from rectal-cranial inversion. In other words they got the heads up their a$$!!:angry: Tell me why Harlan Res. is getting water! Damn near full. It gets it water from the mountains of COLORADO!

MARK..

15. fnzuki6903

fnzuki6903 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well guys since i'm currently in colorado springs I can tell you that the mountains have got ALOT of snow this year (the skiers have been going nuts) and they predict that they will still be able to ski well into april. I know that the mountain streams are starting to swell up a little bit the warmer it gets. I know that Nebraska will not get much of this water from CO, but i'm pretty sure that the rest of the mountains up north have got alot of snow as well. I just wonder what Nebraska will do with the water. :sad2:

16. baldy804

baldy804 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    the north platte and south platte convert south platte does come from colorado and north platte comes from wyoming both of witch states have receive better than avarage snow fall this winter so there will be alittle more water to help neb but a 10 year drought aint gonna be resolved over night :eek:oooh: asfor where the waters going its probobly going right down the river into the missouri:confused2:

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I have some pictures of Elwood taken last year showing the very low levels of water in the lake. I will get these posted sometime this weekend. The pics will give an indication of how low the lake is. This year it is dramatically worse. I talked to Mike(Uglymike) this evening and he updated me on the severity of this lake. Doesn't sound good, but hope with God's help there can be a positive approach on saving this lake.

Stay tuned!

Mark..

18. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats bad, sorry to hear about them going to close the lake, its a shame, they should try to keep it i think

19. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    darn ive never fished there and now im not going to be able to.:angry:

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Don't threat it Jordan. try to get there this spring. chances are the fishing still should be good on the cats. probably will have to fish from the bank, not unless you have a small bass boat or jon boat. Try to make it this year. Good luck fishing buddy..