Good way to send email..

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by CuzICan, Sep 8, 2008.

1. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    (I got this as a forward a long time back and I rewrote lots of it, hopefully to make it a little more user friendly, albeit wordy, lol. There are some things I included in this that someone down the line didn't.)
    I had submitted to the library but I guess since a less detailed form has circulated the internet, it was not deemed worthy to occupy a place in there. I still think it's a noble post in that we all could stand to read it.

Proper Ways to Send Email​

Believe it or not, there is a proper way to send mails…Most of us don’t know or realize it but when we forward mails that show lists of “from and to” fields we are actually promoting hacking, virus invasions of our mailboxes and pc’s, and the selling of those email addresses to third parties for spamming purposes-- should that mail fall into the wrong hands. There is a proper way to minimize risks to ourselves and our contacts.

I received a mail from a friend this morning that had probably 300 addresses on it, all ripe for the taking. No one on the receiving end of that mail had bothered to do 2 simple things.

1. When you forward something: After you have clicked on “ forward” take the time to highlight the “from” and “to” fields within the BODY of the mail, then hit to delete and get rid of those addys…. it only takes a few seconds and you have safeguarded the mail addy of everyone on that email. Some of the forwards I have received have been forwarded at least 10 times and some even MORE.

We are talking about quite a few addresses here.

If the delete seems stubborn, or you can’t get it to work for you—place your cursor on the first space BEFORE you wish to highlight and drag the cursor, highlighting ONLY to the very last letter of the last word. I use a client that this happens with a lot, and finally figured out that this part of the mail was embedded (part of) within the message now, and sometimes that happens along the way. YOU CAN DELETE IT…just don’t highlight lots of extra spaces or lines, and hit delete, and you will be successful. Somtimes if you use "cut" on this you lose the body of the email that you wish to forward on :/

2. DO NOT USE THE “TO” field on an email!! WHAT!!!! IS SHE NUTS!!
    No, actually she’s NOT. When you add addresses to the “to” field on a sent mail—every address you list shows in that mail to everyone that gets it.

In your mail options you will have an option to show BCC—Blind Carbon Copy. In some clients, this may be showing automatically, in others, it may have to be added as an option. I use Incredimail and I have to ask it to show BCC and CC.

Have you ever gotten a mail that said “Undisclosed Recipients” and you wondered how that person got that to show instead of email addresses?? This is what will appear when addresses are placed only in the BCC field!

Sending mail properly can insure that no one we send our feelings, thoughts, or even just information to will ever be at risk in the internet world because of our simple neglect! It only takes a second! DO IT!

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    One simple thing you forgot to add:

Please, accept the fact that if anyone sends me anything that asks me to forward it on, I won't even take the time to read it. Delete, delete, delete. Yes, I am your friend, that's why I wouldn't send you such chain mails.

Yes, if you got an unusually funny joke, by all means send it. No, I find it too hard to believe that you find 10 unusually funny jokes a day.:wink:

Yes, I do love Jesus. No, I feel no need to hear how much you do.

I get over 50 emails a day, on average, 15 get read by me. (NO, none are spam)

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Hey I am with ya on that one Kutter...I do NOT play the forward game, though I have some dear friends that do send me jokes and such from time to time and I love receiving them, and one of those was a joke that a friend sent I referred to having all the addys on it...Thanks for posting!

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info. I don't forward anything unless it's just about the most hillarious thing I've ever seen...ever. When I do, I delete all those addresses. I don't give out other people's phone numbers, why hand out their email address?

5. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Great post sis. Thanks for the info.

6. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Thanks Deb :) I think it's worthy of a read

7. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Good post. I wonder sometimes if the urging, almost insisting, to pass stuff along to a bunch of people is not a harvesting technique.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great post Cher. Good info. I totally agree.

9. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Sea I think you are right, on some of these you get those "Send it to everyone you can or so at least so many including me" and there are those that do that.

and then like Kutter said, which for once I WAS in fact glad he could type...some really believe these chain letters and such and feel the need to pass stuff to long lists of people. and the religious types lay the guilt trip on ya-- we'll forward this and that but we won't forward this" .

I actually got one the other day from a friend of mine that was a money blessing chain deal "this is for good luck etc...and you'll get a ton of money if you pass this on", and the girl I got it from is highly intelligent, very well read and all that-- said at the top of it "Well I had to try" :confused2: I thought dang gal you know better than this.

I promptly deleted it. Opened it because I know and trust her.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men :crazy:

10. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I don't mind forwarding a good joke or some useful information, but some of the things that get sent to me are just a waste of typing. Unfortunately, my sister is the guiltiest party!:sad2:

11. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Deb there is a teacher at our school-- get this-- teaches computers! and She used to forward me so much stuff that I got where when I saw it was from her with a FW on it I just deleted it, wouldn't even open it. They weren't the kind of mails I was interested in. Yes I love a great joke and love to get Hello, just checkin on you mails. LOVE THOSE.
    Love funny pics and I am hooked on GOOD power points, but I mean nice ones that have really nice pics of places or oddities or animals in them.

I'll go in spurts sometimes, get alot of really good ones and send them to people, but very seldom do I send non-informational or impersonal mails, most of the time folks I mail get the occasional mail from me.

I loved the statement that someone made in here it's not on this page or I'd quote it.. about not handing out email like not handing out phone numbers. I feel the same way.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    See? Your always blaming everything on us men. When in fact, we are only guilty most of the time!:wink:

13. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    and I happen to be correct too! I notice you didn't say YOU ARE WRONG, you just said I always do it...which is RIGHT. So there!:tounge_out:

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I understand totally incompletely!!!:0a14::0a28:

15. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    I also call this computer the confuzer. an apt description. I knew you would understand Kutter.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great thread Cher! Wish everyone used your advice!

I enjoy good "forwards"... Interesting subjects, pictures or a good joke.

For many years, I've been removing previous addresses from forwards and sending them BBC.

I don't appreciate getting forwards that have a mess of old addresses or those chain type forwards. Also my pet peeve are those unbelievable ones that are untrue. On the untrue ones I send the sender the hoax site link.:smile2:

I delete a lot more than I forward.

17. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    LOL I send snopes or truthorfiction.com links alot!!!

:smile2:

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well,Since I can't even begin to send an E mail,I guess I'm off the hook.:smile2:Sereously. I try and maybe one of fifty go through ,so,I just gave up.