good way to ruin a castnet

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by adamj, May 23, 2009.

1. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Went out messing around thur. night on the maumee. I say messing around because I'm kind of getting tired of little fish, 1 10lb flat about 3, 4lb channels and a few sheephead. Gas is going up and it feels like a wasted trip. Not to mention I took off of work and still had to fight crowds on a friggin thur night! Oh yea, and I've got all sorts of holes in my castnet from these snappin little monsters. I didn't even count how many I got in one and the only throw.:eek:oooh::angry:

Attached Files:

• gar.jpg
      gar.jpg
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    looks like they schooling, I did the same thing two weeks ago, tore one of my nets all to hell and back. they thrash really hard and do that death roll thang. its probably why ur bite sucked, gar will run everything out.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nothing worse than gars, in your net or on your hook!

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    You should have cleaned all of those back straps out of those gars & made ur net /trip worth it!!!

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    that doesnt sound appetizing at all! are gar good to eat?

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man that would piss me off. Its bad enough to hang a net in timber or rock, tearing it up, but I hate GAR!! I would have burned the net and all the fish over a camp fire, and enjoyed a couple beers while watching!:wink::big_smile: rollo

7. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Woulda cut them suckers up for bait, and enjoyed the payback!
    We have done pretty well with cut gar.

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Wow, Looks like the Gar took over where you were casting. Now that would tend to hit a man's last nerve. Just like Rollo said time to take the net back to the campfire an have roasted netgar! Down a few beers an relax!

9. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    hey gimme 5 mins with a net in certain spots and it will be trash lol gar can do a number but you can somtimes get them out of there without to big of a mess

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Gar is great to eat. Just be sure to serve them HOT out of the grease. They will get rubbery if they cool down

11. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    At least you're catching something, don't complain!!! I can't catch squat here on the James. Too muddy. Lots of rain this spring and no end in sight.

12. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    you need a chainsaw to cut through a gars scales lol i bet there scales could drive a nail if ya hit them with it ?

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Man seems like any thing will rip a cast net these days I probly spent over a 1,000 dollars on cast nets in the last 2 years.

14. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I tried to cut one up for bait ---wow they are tough. I could barely get through one and I keep my knives very sharp. Oh well:confused2:

15. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    Nets are sposed to have holes in them! No that sucks but have you ever caught a couple hundred baby catfish in a net? Might as well cut the lead off and toss the net. You cant get the things out without ripping your net or breaking their fins :angry:

16. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    some people call em poor mans lobster! I have never eaten one though. Id just cut em up for bait!

17. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri