Good Way To Rig Minnows

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by UNCLEG, Nov 29, 2006.

1. UNCLEG

UNCLEG New Member

State:
    NEBRASKA
    What I've used this summer was about a 2"-3" chub minnow. It was dead so I rigged it by making small cuts in it's belly and put some berkely powerbait cat atractant(this is the only stuff that worked) on it. It was on a 1/0 laser sharp wide on about a foot long leader with 1/4 ounce sinker. It worked for me. Hope this helps:cool2:

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It might work, I fish minnows on a three way rig.

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    sounds like it would work to me, how many u catch on it?

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It depends on how they is bite. sometimes I catch one or maybe two or more.

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Similar to my rig, but I don't use powerbait. I cut the tail off (better alive, more blood) and make 2 cuts half way through so guts and blood can ooze out. Sometimes I puncture the heart area for extra blood. This time of year I only get a couple hits on em, but normally it is a great bait.

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    When I fish for channel, it's usually in some local strip pits...and I usually use either large shiners or small black perch carolina rigged with a 1 oz bank sinker, a 100 lb test Spro barrel swivel, a Gamakatsu 3/0 to 4/0 octopus circle hook, and an 18" steel leader to prevent line fray from the catfish...or getting it cut out right by an occasional hungry walleye.

I typically hook the baitfish behind the dorsal fin...taking care not to sever the spinal cord...giving it more wiggle time on the hook.

I also sometime use a 3 way rig with the same components when drift fishing and/or targeting suspended fish.

When loading smaller minnows...I'll use a smaller Eagle Claw bronze #1 baitholder...and I'll either hook behind the dorsal...or through the lips.

I prefer live bait, because over time...I've consistently caught my biggest flathead, blues, and channel on a lively small to medium sized black perch,or a 6-8" wild shiner.

Although I have caught my fair share off of cut bait as well...there's just something to that wiggle on the hook....especially so in cold water.