Good times

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by bigmaac73, Feb 5, 2007.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Not from Indiana, just wanted to share some fond memories. My grandfather lived in Kokomo Indiana untill he died several years ago and loved to fish. I remember every year at the Kokomo Res. around late july I think, the shad would gather at the dam I guess to try and run down the creek. Anyways, if you would go up to the dam a few hours before daylight those cats would be literally running into the walls of the the dam running them shad. He would walk across the top of the dam throwing a rapals #9 double jointer and I would sit on the bank right by the dam and throw shad that would wash up on shore(there were so many that when a wave would come up some would wash up with it.) We would always leave with almost more cats than we could carry. It was a blast. Wondering if anyone else ever did this at Kokomo Res. If not, it is worth it. Just keep an eye out for the shad run.

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Cool, thanks for sharing. I've only fished Kokomo once before and we caught quite a few eater sized channel cats and a lot of carp up there, fun little lake to fish. Never did fish near the dam, I wonder if they still let people fish right off of the dam like that? I would love to try that sometime, sounds like a good way to kill a day.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    If the dams are like Freeman and Shafer they are fenced off now. You can't get close to them on the water side either. Scared someone might bomb them.
    Bill