good time to scout holes

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is a good time to scout holes and structure on the rivers....that is of course if you still have open water. I took the boat out on the Des Moines river this last thursday 12/20 just southeast of Des Moines and did a little bit of scouting around. The water clarity this time of year in unbelievable. You can see a good 4 to 6 feet down if the reflection of the sun doesn't get in your way. Its really interesting to see how much structure there actually is.
    Plus it is always nice to find a few new areas that you never thought to fish before.

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea man, that's what I do here in SC ...pics and all. The other good part is that fall drops the leaves and I find a lot of hidden ponds that I couldn't see before.

-Jim-

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just dropped in to wish you a Merry Christmas :big_smile:

4. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    the holes down here in the mississippi are 30-40 feet where the big flatheads lay. sounds like you guys have it alot easier! :big_smile:

i figured the des moines would be jammed up with ice and muddy right now!

just cant wait for a few more weeks im ready to snag some asians and spoons!!!

5. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    u puting your boat in at hartford i did not know if the water was deep to be able to put a boat in we had problums there this past summer just wandering

6. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    man, i can think of more fun things to do during 20degree weather. Go get em pylo! If i werent a hunter, i would do the same though. i just got a gps for such stuff. cant wait to use it. you can be off 10 yards and totally miss the head of some holes i fish and it is tough to always find em without driving around in circles for a while.

Keep your chins up... Only a month and a half away from the spring shad gathering for guts. And then the season starts. Winter aint so bad. Enjoy it while its here!

7. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    calvin ....catch all the asians and keep them down there. we dont want them!!! i have no desire to drive around the river with a helmet on!

8. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    no problem there! theres over a hundred a hundred people lined up along the banks all day snagging in bonaparte. they just throw all the asians onto shore and let them die. i like to line all of them up and take a picture or two. kinda fun catching 500 pounds of fish with one pole in one day......:big_smile: