Good time for arrowheads

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by osageCo_flathead, Aug 15, 2006.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    While the fishing holes are shrinking and the water temperature is slowing down the catch another hobby of mine is picking up. The water levels are dropping and opening a window to a time long past. Where I live the original creek is in full view, the bluffs and caves are in full view and easily accesable. Now I can see the grinding holes my great grandfather showed my grandfather while arrowhead hunting. The snakes are out in full force and the heat is intense...but the arrowheads a lot easier to find this season due to the draught and heat lowering the water level. So if the fish are not biting and you find yourself a little board just walk around the gravel beds and look down....you never know what you might find.....in my case it was 3 arrowheads one being a calf creek

2. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i enjoy finding them. i have a brother in-law that is an arrow head freak. thats all he does but he has found some cool ones.

3. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    my dad found one building my old house

4. osageCo_flathead

State:
    Oklahoma
    To hold something in your hands that was made 100's to 1,000's of years ago is a unique and humbling experience. My calf creek point will be someplace in the neighborhood of a few thousand years old. I can relate to bro-n-law because I too am an arrowhead freak.....

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I know just what your talking about. I'm not into arrowheads, but relic hunting gives you the same feeling when you find something. Civil War relics are the most common items hunted around here.

I've got a handmade folding knife, with Mastidon tusks pieces used for the handles/scales. Some of your arrow heads could be made from stones older than that.

6. osageCo_flathead

State:
    Oklahoma
    To be honest, I am a history fanatic and any relic hunting to me is great. I have a button I found from a battle about 5 miles from my house. It was a battle fought between the Osage and US Calvary. I found the cal very button while arrowhead hunting in a creek not far from the hill this battle was centered around. I would love to look around a civil war site. But I dont have to be relic hunting to enjoy the history. Oklahoma has very few civil war sites and they are much smaller battles than the one's fought in the Southern States...but man, when you step foot on one you can just feel the energy and sadness.
    I cant wait to get my metal detector and hit the beaches around here....and you are not making things any easier on me bob by posting all these finds LOL.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Billy there is a 68,000 a lake near where I live and a few years ago the Corp. of Eng. pulled the water level down to work on the dam.I have heard of guys finding 5gal buckets full of arrowheads on the lake bed.The place is close to the old river run and there is a mound that may be the burial place of some of the guys who naped flint. I went and looked but by the time I got there the arrowheads were all gone but I saw a lot of rock chips where the arrowheads were being naped.

8. osageCo_flathead

State:
    Oklahoma
    that is unreal! I have never been lucky enough to run across something like that. When I was in the USAF serving in Las Vegas NV we would go arrowhead hunting around Racheal and found some really neat arrowheads made of obsidian and such. The old man I would hunt with found a a cache of complete arrowheads in a small hole in a large sandstone. He was crazzy enough to stick his hand in their and pull it out. He noticed something that looked like a deer Hyde and pulled this thing out...He got over 500 completely perfect arrowheads made from obsidian and jasper. Unreal. The one time I cant go with him he hits the mother load!!!!

9. chattycatty

chattycatty New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My brother has a collection of arrowheads. He picked up a lot of them when he worked in tobacco. Got some really nice ones, too. Congratulations on the find!

10. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    It would be nice for some of us to post some pics of their artifact finds. I'll try and remember to post some of mine tonight when I get home.

scott

11. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    theres arrowheads all over central texas. i usually find them while fishing or playing golf.
    matt

12. osageCo_flathead

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dont tell me that Mat!!!! You'll see some crazy guy walking around central texas with his eyes on the ground walking in circles for hours.

13. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I'd love to see some of yalls arrowheads. I found my first one last year and I've got the fever!:smile2:

14. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Eric, do you know of any sites around Minden where we can hunt for them?

15. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Here's a few from my years of looking. Some of my better stuff. All personal finds, surface only - I don't dig. Most from North Alabama, south Tennessee and West Mississippi.

First photo is a group of Big Sandy and Dalton points.

2nd is a frame of serrated points such as Kirk, Lost Lake, Decatur, and Plevna

3rd is a selection of Greenbriar/Greenbriar Daltons from the same site in North Alabama. Found over a period of 10 years.

Attached Files:

16. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    1st photo is a case full of small pionts locally called bird points. Were really the only true arrowheads in these parts.

2nd photo is of some of what I call the classics. These are mostly archaic knives in the 4 to 6 inch range. Note the asymetric sides indicating they were used as knives attached to short antlers or the like.

3rd photo is all the best from my last good year of looking a couple of years ago. I haven't done as much in the last 10 years really due to pressure and the farmers shying away from allowing collecting in the fields.

Hope you guys enjoyed these. They were found over a period of 30 years, most from the early 1980's when I was in the late teens and early 20s. I hope to get out more this winter after the drawdown and check out some sites nearby.

scott

Attached Files:

17. osageCo_flathead

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice finds brother. As soon as I get our deg camera repaired I'll post some pics of mine. I am wanting to out to Wyoming on the little laramie river where my step grandad grew up and look around.....he said it was nothing to find sites where they sat and flint knapped. I have some sort of ceremonial objects made form obsidian I found in the desert in NV that are pretty rare. A guy I knew at unlv that taught this given subject wanted to "borrow" them and attempt to figure out what they are and if anyone had logged something similar before....I would not let him...I took pics and scanned them for him. The last professor I let "examine" something of mine never gave it back and he no idea what happened to it. I had found a leg bone of a dinosaur and he was going to tell me what it was exactly but never got it back to me...they bugged me for years asking where I found it but I wont tell them until they either tell me what happened to my find or give it back to me. Really ticked me off. If I find something of historical significance I know who to call and have some good sources at OU. Arrowhead hunting in the desert is an experience I would recommend to anyone that is as crazzy about it as I am. I really want to look in the Southern States....I have never looked for points E of the Mississippi.

My next hunt is going to place in a spot known historically for Buffalo hunts......cant wait

18. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Thanks for sharing the pics Scott! That is a great looking collection you got. Looking forward to seeing yours too Billy. I only have two. One about 3 inches long and the other is only about a half inch long. I'm in Mexico working right now. When I get home in 3 weeks, I'll take a pic of them and show ya! They ain't in perfect shape, but I like them.

Emmett, I found one of them on Dorcheat last year during the drawdown about a mile below your place. The small one came off Lake Ivan during the drawdown.

19. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Arrowheads rock for sure!
    There are some awesome spots around here but I can't get in anymore.
    Many great places are now neiborhoods!

I have not done it for many years but the pics struck a spark for sure.
    Great thread!

20. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That is some good pictures.