Good Time at Santee cooper in South Carolina

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Captain Cat, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Hey Everone. Just returned from a week of fishing Lake Marion, I did not break any records but had a great time. We caught about 8 cats from 10 to 18 lbs. I also got a couple of 10 plus lb. Gar. The wether was great compared to what we have up North. We caught most of the cats near the deep river channel during the day. Not many fish at night. It was my first trip to Santee, what a place. I have never seen such water and trees. We fished from the 95 Bridge up as far as Elliots Landing. lso saw some gators I had never seen any in the wild before. We had a small one visit us at our dock. I will be looking forward to going again.

2. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Hey Captain Cat,
    Welcome back. I was going to send you an e-mail wondering how you made out down there. A gater huh? I haven't seen one down there yet. I'm glad to hear you had a good time and was interested in where or what area you fished at. I just ordered a waterproof detailed map of both the lakes there. I couldn't get the cabin for the last week of April so had to settle for the 1st week of May. I have had several offers from guys down that way that know the lake that offered to show me some tricks as well. I'll be up your house for a nice cat dinner. Ha! Ha! Just kidding of coarse. Again I'm glad you had the great luck you did.
    I'm still looking forward to getting together for some fishing with you and the group of yous.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Glad that you had a good time, Dean, even tho you didn't get into any large fish. Guess that they'll have to wait until your next trip :)

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Gators and Gar are plentiful at Santee. Glad you had fun and be sure to come back down.

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on the fishin trip! I took a guided trip there last summer when I was in the area. Its a pretty neat lake, HUGE! We did really well, but I just prefer river fishin myself, but a neat area all in all and some pretty nice fish!

6. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    No one ever mentioned the gaters till just now. I never knew they had them that far north. The gar I of coarse knew about and have caught them.

Tight lines to all.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, Dean, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. The fishing lately has been hit/miss, so you came out pretty good. Hope you get to come back sometime and do even better.
    Don't be too concerned about the gators, either. They normally aren't a menace as long as you respect them.

8. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ive also never had any problems with gators. Ive tried to paddle as close to possible to them on many occasions but cant get to close. They used to swim from the wildlife refuge to right in front of my friends house on potato creek. They did it a lot in the mornings around sunrise. Anyway fun to watch them and i havent heard of a gator attack at santee ever.

Anyway glad you enjoyed the trip and hope you come back as often as you can.

9. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    We tryed to get close to the big ones for a picture but they did not stay around. I was not to concerned about them but thought they were fun to watch.

10. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    glad you enjoyed trip. last fri I went to mill creek near santee, fishin with shiners. I took my twin engine yacht down (12' with a oar on each side) :rolleyes:, went to sleep on middle seat and still caught the biggest fish. abt 10lb channel.
    hopin to go to murray or moultrie soon. :)

11. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Lionel, that is how i used to fish at night when we only had acess to the pontoon boat. I would be on the front on bench seat and other 2 buddies would fish from back and captains chair (middle). It seemed like everytime I fell asleep we would catch fish. woke up many times due to them running to my rods.