Good Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mo.Hick, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Hope everyone had a good and safe thanks giving. I had a good one. Now headed to the farm to do some plowing and getting a couple of other places cleared out for food plots. I really look forward to doing these things. It is a blast. When you start seeing the results of the work with better deer. You know it was all worth it. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Tom

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Glad to hear you had a good one - I got back from fishing and now I'm suffering from food overdose on the couch:eek:oooh: Have fun at the farm tomorrow!

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We had a feast of rib eyes and shrimp scampi. I'm in the process of food plot makin myself on some new ground i recently got the hunting rights on. What kind of mineral do you use if i may ask. When the doe's get bred, they'll need the boost and the same for the bucks when they put on new horn this spring.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Mine was me stuffing my face and watching football, don't get any better

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    John we used to just put out corn soy beans or milo. About 4 years ago we put it all out in clover. Now I am going to put about 10 acres into something else. Still doing research. In one patch of about 1/4 acre I am going to try turnips. I know it will probable take about 2 years for the deer to get used to that but worth a try. Any sugestions will be appreciated. Maybe we can exchange info. We are using some of the trophy rock and they really seam to like those. I also have several salt blocks out. What do you use? If you dont want to share I understand.

Tom

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Always in the past i used gray pulverized mineral ya buy at the feed store. I'll get the name monday, but it's just mineral for stock with split hooves. The turnips will work too. I've seen them paw them out of the ground and eat. Also sweet potatoes are candy to them, just a hassel to put enuff slips out to sustain a hear of deer. Daddy uses austrian winter peas with good results. I strongly believe in mineral and food plots. Not so much as to hunt over really, but the good it does for the herd.

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    John do you put the mineral out just like the salt blocks? I never thought of trying sweet patatos. Since we have tried to manage the deer and the all the people around me except one have been doing the same. We have really seen a big difference not only in the bucks but the size and health of all the deer. I really helps to get the neighbors involved in this.

Tom

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have one lick thats been hot for years. I started by putting stump licker on a stump. Poured a 50 lb. bag of mineral over the top. I'm not exaggerating, but the only thing holding the stump up is the tap root. They have gnawed and pawed a huge hole in the rocks and ground. With group effort by adjoining landowners, everybody wins. It takes a concerted effort but you'll see the difference it makes in a few short years. Really don't cost much compaired to the rest we spend hunting.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    They will go for any kind of potatos my son and brother also plant rye grass and winter wheat on there food plots