Good tasting catfish??

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Johnny B, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I like eating fish but iv'e never had catfish until I bought these catfish bites I deep fried from the store and I thought they were horrible. Does all catfish have a really strong taste or is there a lighter tasting catfish?? Any tips on making a really good catfish and what kind???:confused2:

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Bother to check the expiration date on that crap? Catfish! To me it's one of the best tasting fish there is. Flathead Catfish is the cat's meow to me. Clean, fresh taste. Not fishy at all. Has a firm texture with a nice white meat. Channel Cat> get the yellow back fat trim off, bleed the cat out by cutting it's tail off and your left with some nice tasting fillets fit for a KING!! I like my Catfished fried with a good seasoning, but that's personal preference. To me " Catfish" if prepared right, beat Walleye, Perch and many other " so called" gourmet tasting fish.

Try the real thing> not that store bought crap!!

3. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I just started filleting my channel cats and deep fry in peanut oil, lightly salted and rolled in 50/50 white flour and cornmeal. Everyone in the family said it was the best tasting fish we had ever had. Now I have to catch more....LOL

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Commercial stuff generally is not good. You want to get all the membrane off and that's why stan said fillet because if you peel the skin off with a pliers, the membrane is still on and it tastes fishy. I can't tell the difference between a flat and a channel but with channels it is all about properly trimming them. I won't cook anything too thick, either. Split the fillets down to 3/8". There isn't a different kind of fish, just better preparation.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    prepperation is the key I couldnt tell ya how many folks I have put there money where there mouths were"I wont eat no nastey cat out of that river!" (LOL) ya know what yer dion and its all good man there aint nuttin better then a fresh catch and the fresher the better (LOL) the hell with the store I want it floppin and fresh right in my fryer:cool2:

6. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Store bought = Farm raised = cr*p These fish don't get what they get in the wild and they are all cramped in holding pins till big enough to harvest. Personally I wouldn't give a plug nickle for farm raised cats. But I do love me some fresh caught cat with hushpuppies:big_smile:

John

7. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to agree with all replys on here for sure. It is also possiable that what was bought from the store was nothing more than the belly flaps off of some farm raised channels. I have done that one before myself.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    We were out of catfish and hadn't had any in a while so my wife bought a package of that farm raised crap from the store. It was the nastiest, fishiest crap I ever tried to eat. Never again!

If you clean your catfish properly it is some of the best eating there is!

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Skipp I am gald I aint the only one that learned that lesson the hard way..(LOL) yer sooo right man bad aint the werd fer it ....gotta have some sipp mudd in it or it dont taste right(LOL)

10. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have found that after cleaning - soak in salt water before prepping and frying / grilling - keeps the fishy taste out -

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Trim any yellow meat (fatty) and any red meat and you'll get a great tasting fillet. I also cut out the lateral line as there is usually red meat along there too.

I don't think 'bleeding' is necessary. Trim your fillets until all you have is good white meat, then soak in salt water for a few hours or overnight. I put them in ziplocs full of water and toss in the freezer.

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Just send me directions to your house Skip ya got some good grub going down:wink::tounge_out: I wont stay but a yr or 2:tounge_out::eek:oooh:

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The real fish cleaning experts are Big Sam and Johnny 777!:wink:

Them dudes can whip through them so quick it'll leave your head spinning!

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    CAYENNE PEPPER AND SUGAR...THEN KETCHUP BATH....WHAT FISHY TASTE? LOL:tounge_out:

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    cleaning your fillet correctly , keep your meat thin by this I mean about the size of a 3 pound cat fillet , if 10 to 20 pound fish you can cut that fillet long ways twice , remove the red meat from all fillets , I soak in salt water all night in big pan in fridge . Then I use andys fish batter and deep fry . Make sure grease is hot before frying . Never has a strong fishy flavor . Now fry up some taters and hush puppies served all with a super cold beer of your choice some garden maters and a few slices of onion and BINGO you got some good eats .

16. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    :eek:oooh::confused2::eek:oooh::confused2::0a30:LMAO

17. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I appreciate all you guys posting...I am goin to keep a couple of small cats and try it! I usually buy the wild caught salmon and last week I bought the farm raised and also thought that stuff is horrible:0a30:!!I also hear alot of the" I won't eat anything outta that river" and I just laugh! Thanks again and I'll post after eating my first catfish!:0a31::0a24:

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I have eaten all the kinds and flathead by far is best. Bluecats are good and channels can be a bit muddy and harsh tasting. Depends on the water from which you harvested the fish from.

I recommend when you fillet the fish, you cut out as much of the red meat from the fillet as possible. I also chunk my fillets personally and use Andy's Cajun Red breading. The white is also fantastic breading on the market.

19. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Boy that is a hard one, but I would have to say Spoonbill is about the best I have evre eaten, followed closely by flathead, blue, and channel (in that order.

20. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I've never had catfish that tasted fishy, that was cleaned properly. Like others said, cleaning the red meat out is necessary for a clean fresh flavor. Which is why everybody always says that flathead meat is the best. If you look at all wild animals that either migrate or constantly move, ie- ducks, doves, geese, and woodcock. These are all very strong, gamey tasting meats. Now, on the other hand, look at quail, pheasants, wild turkey, and rabbits. These animals don't move much, hence requiring their bodies the lack of red muscle tissue. Which is saturated in blood cells that deliver oxygen and energy to these muscles that perform all of the work. Now, if you apply this to catfish, you have to look at the way the 3 big species are built and what they do. Channels and blues are omnivores, which means they pretty much eat anything, and as most of you know can be found in different parts of any body of water, any time of day. They also have streamlined bodies, forked tails, and either an over or even bite jaw structure. Which, anybody that has stuck their hand in either of these fishes jaws, knows they have some serious clamping force. These fish are built for movement and tolerate much more current than the lazy old flathead. The flathead catfish has all of his power up front, with big "shoulders'', a rounded tail, and a wide flat head, that is built for hiding in current breaks, and striking fish very quickly with his jaws that are built for opening force, not closing and biting fish like his cousins. Flatheads require less red muscle tissue, due to the way they are built to live in the environments in which they thrive.
    Blues, channels, and flatheads are as differnt as cows, pigs, and chickens. I heard this not to long ago and I couldn't agree more. It's just a tid bit of info. that I'm sure some of you already know. I just figured it might make sense to somebody and if you really think about it, it might tell you a little bit about where you should be fishing the next time you go out, if you just look at the fish you are trying to target.:wink: GOOD LUCK GUYS!