Good starting setup

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Creaz93, May 25, 2008.

1. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey, I'm wondering what a good beginning setup for flatheads... rod,reel,hooks,bait ect. I'm thinking of buying some flathead gear. Not anything too expensive:wink: Thanks.

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    if your not in a spot where you don't have to "lean" on them you don't have to have the gear you hear about. my gear is a collection of 30 years. learn to play a fish. thats part of the game. if your in timber, thats different than in open waters. use the force luke.

3. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear New Member Chris;
    Greetings and :big_smile:WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!:big_smile:
    Chris, I think we could help you a bit better if you would give us some more details about your flathead fishing.
    Such as, Where your fishing, what kind of waters?, Below a dam?, In a Lake?, River?, ect.
    What size of Flatheads are you hoping to catch most of the time? Are you looking for Record Book size or Eating Size?
    What experience do you have catching Flatheads? It's O.K. to have NONE!:wink: That would put me about 1/4 step in front of you when it comes to Flatheads! :smile2:
    What kind of money are you talking about spending for a Reel? Rod?, ect. Do you use a Bait Casting Reel or a Spinning Reel?
    Seriously, the more information you can provide like this the better we are able to help you.
    We have members that are World Class Catfish Folks, some of which specialize in Flatheads. But you have to give them a bit more to go on please. :wink:
    Just remember, any time you ask a question on the BOC, the more details you can give the membership, the better they will be able to help you. I would even guess that there is a member fairly close to you that could be a BIG help to you if you would only give them the chance by giving them more details and let them tell you what works for them.
    Which is another point. What might work for you in IOWA I think it is where you live, might not work for someone down in say Louisiana or over in the Sante Cooper area!
    So, give us a chance and give us some more details. You might find yourself a bit overwhelmed by all of the responses you get, but then all you have to do is get a pad and pencil and write down the parts of the posts that apply to you and your situation and go from there. :wink:
    By the way, there is a "Thank Member" button on the lower right hand corner of each posters post. Be sure to click on it after you read a Brother or Sisters post. This does two things.
    1. It lets them, and the rest of us KNOW that you have read the post.
    2. It's a simple "Thank You" to the person for taking the time to give you their advice/opinion, ect. Just as you would say "Thank You" in Real Life, you also do so in here. It's part of the common courtesy that exists among the BOC Fraternity. I think you will find it will help you along a LOT!:wink:
    Again, :big_smile:"WELCOME to the BOC"!!:big_smile: I think you will find the membership with be worth your time and that it will help you make some life changing decisions that will enrich your life in ways you can only imagine at this time!! Trust me, I KNOW of what I speak! :wink: I found out an even deeper meaning just recently but that is for another time and place. For now, give us some more DETAILS!! :big_smile:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

4. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys. Well... i fish lakes, and I'm not targeting huge flatheads i wouldn't mind catching them though:wink: As far as reels go... I've had no experience with baitcasters so a spinning reel would probably be a better choice. My price range... 60-120$ to start out, them i'll slowly build up to some better gear:roll_eyes: I don't have a boat by the way... (I'm not even old enough to drive:cool2:) So i'll be fishing from the bank, if that makes any difference.

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Chris welcome to the BOC. get yourself a MH rod( an ugly stick, a berkley rod, etc., they only cost about 40 dollars) length anywhere from 7-9 foot. then get a spinning reel that will hold a lot of line(many to choose from ) as for line 17-30 pound test depending on how big the fish are where you are at and if there are a lot of snags you will be fishing around that you may have to pull your fish out of. use live bait ( check local regulations in your area as to what is considered bait) such as bluegills, small bullheads, small carp, drum, suckers, goldfish, etc; in the 5-10 inch range. as for hooks match them to the size of your bait usually in the 6/0 to 9/0 range. look for brand names of all the above mentioned tackle in the review sections of forum home page as alot of members have tried out alot of gear and their might also be someone in your home state or even local area who can put you on the right path for your area on the kansas thread ( they may be able to help you with areas to try, bait to try, and tackle tips. well this should get you started out. hope this helps and good luck.

6. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've decided to buy an ugly stik MH rod, abu garcia ambassador 6000 reel(i decided on a baitcaster cause i have to start somwhere), 20lb test line.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would remend a Abu 6000, 6500, or 7000 with a Ugly Stick Catfish Rod.

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I highly suggest practicing with that reel in the parking lot or yard before you go fishing! If you've never used on a baitcast reel can ruin a fishing trip. They are great if you know how to use them ... if you've never used one they can make the most patient fisherman into a little schoolgirl! lol I've been there..

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother's and Sister's;
    I too agree with the Shakespeare Ugly Stick. It's a great starting Rod no matter if your a young beginner or an experienced angler.
    Had young Chris provided that information originally I would have recommended the same Rod to him but would have stayed with the Spinning Reel.
    But I think he has made a great starting choice. Now if only someone from his area will be able to "hook-up" with him, {No pun intended!} and take him to a local {{and secret}} hot spot to get him started! :big_smile:
    Thank You ALL for helping a New Young Brother out! This is what we, the BOC, are about and I am GLAD to see the normal GOOD response and help that we are famous for giving not only our new members, but all of our members!:big_smile:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    chris, your welcome to come wet a line with me anytime ya want. i can drive so ya aint gota worry about that. i got a killer hole for channel cat. pm me sometime and we can talk.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Think you made a good choose in equipment Chris. I've been using Ambassadors for 30 odd years and they have never let me down. The main thing is to practice a lot. start with short cast and in time the distance will come naturally. Practice makes perfect and I can't stress the importance of practice enough in words. Good luck and happy trails my friend!!!!

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    God knows I understand about money restrictions. Perhaps not so much now as I used to...but I remember when I just got by with minimal equipment.

Even so recently as this past spring...I had an Ambassadeur 6000 (Still a good reel)...spooled with power pro 50 lb braid...on a catmaxx 7'6" MH e-glass rod...and unexpectedly hooked my flathead of the year.

It was 50 lb plus...the river was up...so the fish had the advantage of heavy current as well.

We were anchored...and I got it boatside...my partner stabbed at it with the net...it went nuts...and in short...roached out my reel (locked it up)...and snapped my 50 lb braid. :sad2:

The next week I was sporting a $160 Ambassadeur 7000 Big Game model (It's a HEAVY DUTY rig!!)...spooled with 65 lb PP.

Biggest flattie I managed to get my hook into the rest of the spring/summer after losing the big un'...was 25 lb...and it practically waterskiied in...Lol.

Moral of the story...Always be prepared...save the pennies...they add up...and get the best gear you possibly can after you get something to get started with.

You never know when the pig will come a knockin'!!

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i picked up a 7 foot king kat combo pole from cabelas for 30 bucks and that seems to be holding up very well, i loaded it up with 80# braid, its a MH action and for the price its tough ta beat:wink:

14. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    yea practice so no birds nest right ken:cool2:

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Yes and even with a lot of practice you will still get one from time to time.:wink:

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Your Ambassadeur 6000 should do JUST fine. I have landed a 27 and a 33 pounder on my 6000 this year, and a 35 on my 6500. I'd go ahead and spool it with HEAVY braid, just in case. I use 100# Power Pro on mine. The diameter of that braid is smaller than 20 pound mono. Good luck and keep us posted on your fishin' stories! Reps coming your way for your very wise choice in reel manufacturer.
    Bill in SC