Good spots on Wilson lake in Alabama?

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by Zoltar, May 14, 2009.

1. Zoltar

Zoltar New Member

State:
    Alabama
    My parents live in stenson hollow. We've been puttering around that slough (third one up from wilson on the muscle shoals side) for years, mostly fishing for bass. Recently I've really gotten the itching to catch some big catfish. I've heard that the main river channel and the area near the dam (where all the infrastructure for the dam construction got flooded) are good places.

Any experienced anglers want to give me some rough ideas? Should I stick near the dam or try further up river towards shoal creek?

2. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    from the dam to shoals creek is all good...but will be real good after the spawn and when the hot weather gets here....

3. Zoltar

Zoltar New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I went out today. Saw a guy fishing from the bank up near the dam near that "warning" sign, and he was reeling in a couple of cats. Nothing huge, but he was pulling them in fairly regularly on worms. We fished around there and up around the lock without getting much more than a nibble. We were using some chicken breast. I ended up snagging what I think was a big cat, but I think he got tangled up in something because for a long time I thought my line had just gotten snagged. We were working our way back to try to get the line free when I felt a big tug, then the leader snapped. :(

The chicken breast we were using wasn't too fresh. Had used it a couple of times before, freezing and unfreezing it. That might have hurt our luck.

4. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Do you do anything special to your chicken breasts when you use it for bait?

5. ScottB

ScottB New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've had some luck fishing Second Creek on the high side of the dam. No monsters but nice eatin' size (as they say).

6. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My folks live on bluewater, so we fish the tailwaters of wheeler a lot. We catch a ton of blues on shad. We'll tie right up to the discharge, just ajacent to the generator thats running, and throw out in the current. Nice thing about fishing that way w\ shad is we catch the bonus smallie, stripe, and some good size drum too. :) Last year we had a trip where i was physically exhausted from catching so many between 5-12lbs. Sounds like BS, I know, but its the truth!

Attached Files:

7. MsMixalot

MsMixalot New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That sure looked like an end to a great day of fishin"