Good spots on Kerr Lake?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Kittyhunter, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    My wife's parents have a houseboat on Kerr Lake at the Steel Creek Marina. Anybody know of any good flathead, blue, or good sized channel fishing spots closeby. I have been wanting to take my Jon boat up there one weekend. We have fished at the marina docks and had some luck but all small fish.

2. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Oh come on, nobody goes to Kerr Lake?

3. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    One more post to get it back up to the top, then I'm done with it. I can't believe nobody on here fishes Kerr Lake

4. marineheel

marineheel New Member

State:
    Elon, NC
    Well, I've been checking this thread for a few days and see that knowone wants to bite on this one. I have fished Kerr lake many times, but have never really caught any thing worth bragging about...I know you can, just haven't. Clarkesville, VA is probably the best place to catfish, Bluestone, the Bridges, and a place called the pump station...I've never fished the pump station, but a finally got a buddy of mine drunk enough to tell me how to get there. The pump station is across from Oconeechee Marina and to the left of the bridges in Clarkesville. There is a lot of humps on the bottom and the fish I've been told, hold up there pretty well.

If you go to Kerrlake.com and search for the message board, you will find some info.

5. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Finally, thanks buddy.

6. marineheel

marineheel New Member

State:
    Elon, NC
    I'm probably heading up to Kerr for on Oct. 8th for the Fall Brawl catfish tourney...it's hosted by Buggs Island Bait and Tackle.

The bait shops in VA do not sell live Shad and the ones in NC have been out and are only selling frozen shad.

7. marineheel

marineheel New Member

State:
    Elon, NC
    Just to let you guys know -- I did catch some bigguns at Kerr.

me and a buddy caught over 170 pounds of fish the same night at Buggs and I'm talking about 4 fish.

We have only bin back once since then and I had to take a boat load of people and didn't have much luck. We did wrestle with a 50+ fish that we never got a hook set into.

8. Kerrlakecatmaster

Kerrlakecatmaster New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    go around Henderson pt. you'll do fine

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I am gonna try to get out there this year I live in Clayton NC. I always here about people catching big fish from there.....

Any thoughts on the best time of year....

or drifting or anchoring???

10. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Right now is a good time, i started catching 20lb/+ blue cats drifting from bridges to rivers last year, near the end of March...have been catching some smaller blues & channels in creeks lately drifting...
    Good Luck,
    Mike
    (cpr)