Good spinning reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Gibbzilla, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I'm going to start doing some heavy-duty flathead fishing, and I was just wondering if anyone could point me into the direction of a spinning reel(an affordable one, please) that could handle a live bluegill and a 16-20 oz. sinker.

Thanks in advance,
    Gibbzilla.

2. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Just for clarification here...

Are you looking for a reel to fish FOR bluegill? Or are you looking for a reel to fish for catfish WITH a bluegill?

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well you can get quantum optix 40 or 60 spinning reel, I have alot quantum spinning reels for catfish and bass too.. yea it will handle live bluegills on quantum optix spinning reel as well.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Any of the baitrunner spinning reels that holds 20 lb or 25 lb of test line will work.

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Heck, what's the 20oz weight for???

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    AN OKUMA CORONADO 90 IS A GOOD BAITRUNNER BUT I'M NOT SURE IT WILL HOLD UP TO 20 OZ'S OF LEAD THOUGH.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I was going to recomend that exact one. I had several and have fished them with 16 oz and they do fine. Another GREAT reel that I really love is the Mitchell Free Runner 7500. I picked 3 of these up at a local bait shop at a great price and I absolutely love them! The smoothest big spinning reel I have ever used. It was designed for saltwater so it'll hold up to any big cat you'll ever hook. It is kind of pricey but I found a site online with them on sale, I would consider this reel-u won't be disappointed. The only thing I do not like aout this reel is the drag on the baitrunner is very quite so if you are fishing at night you have to pay pretty close attention but the spool as a spot to put specially made glow lights so they will spin when line goes out.

here's the link:
    http://www.castawaylakes.com/FR7500.html

8. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Someone in the sinker thread told me I needed a 16-20 oz. weight to hold down live 'gills in the 6-10" range.