Good spinning reel for the wife?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by pursuing_cats, Apr 7, 2006.

1. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    My wife is very much into fishing like me, but she cannot use the baitcasters. She refuses to learn so I am trying to find out which is the best spinning reel for her to use for catfishing. She fishes alongside me when I am chasing big cats so it has to be sturdy enough to handle any size cat.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Penn Shimano are good ones I like the Shimano Aero Stradic its a nice reel Diawa has some decent ones out too. Okuma seems to be getting real popular. There are a lot of them out there I would stick to a name brand myself and buy the most reel you can afford.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    check out the okuma avenger series, i just bought a couple and they are great! cheap too ($40). the okuma coronado's were much more expensive ($69) but felt and reeled like a $20 reel.

4. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    The Okuma Epixor EB is a great spinning reel.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i forgot to mention they come in standard, and baitfeeders. mine are baitfeeders.

6. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I'll second the "Okuma Epixor EB" Just got the EB-80 a while back and it's one heck of a piece of machinery. Ya might want to get one a bit smaller. Mine's going on a 9' Quantum Big Cat and I think it will handle anything I'm likely to run into.. (I also have a Shimano 4500b that's a very nice reel).

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Go to Wal-mart and get her that Shakespere Ultra Light for about $20.00. It will make anything she catches feel real big, and if she ever hooks into a big cat with that outfit, you can tell her "Hon, thats fishing." LOL

8. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    I've got the EB50 and I'm sure it can handle the big boys, but if I were going exclusively for large flatheads or blues, I'd go with the EB65. I imagine that the EB80 is HUGE.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First thing.I can not compare anything to a Avenger,as I have never used one.I have the Okuma Coronado CD 90s.They have stainless steel gears and stainless steel bearings.The inside and drag is sealed with gaskets to keep out water and trash.They are built to handle the largest fish and for the most severe types of fresh and saltwater fishing.The Avenger has more but cheaper carbon steel bearings,and is not built to stand up to the same conditions or the bait feeder type use of a Coronado.I checked out "Okuma Fishing" on the web and talked to the factory reps before buying as I have special needs.As to the way that they feel to me.I don;t have a lot of feeling left in my hands,but they seem to feel,reel and perform like the huge saltwater Penn spinning reels that I have used.In outher words"You better be man enough to hold on to,it if you are going to max it out."More bearings mean smoother.BUT! Those tough old reels that are still around after all these years had BUSHINGS!! I think that each has it,s place.Look up Shimano saltwater spinning reels.They have a mix of SS ball and bushings,just like the Coronado.A bushing is a bearing that will take a beating.Best of luck.peewee-williams

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    The penn 6500 is a great spinning real, I have caught some large stripers with it and it is solid.

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have shimano reels. I like the spirex and just bought my wife a shimano Symetre. They have been very reliable and smooth to use. Cabelas had the Symetre on sale with a rod. Wife loves it.

12. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Thanks for all the great advice on the reels. I ordered her a OKUMA ECLIPZ EZ-90. It is going on a 10ft Ugly Stik so she will be able to get it out really far when we are fishing from the bank. I know this is a big reelbut it will work great from the bank and the boat. Again I say thanks for all the help. You guys are the best.

13. BigBlues

BigBlues New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Go with the Shimanos.:)