Good spinning reel for catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by smokinjoe, Jun 30, 2006.

1. smokinjoe

smokinjoe New Member

State:
    PA
    Hello all, I'm new to the board. I just finished building a catfish rod that will be set up for a spin reel. Running 25 lb. mono what is a good spinning reel out there for catfishing. Thanks for any feedback.
    Smokin Joe

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Joe welcome to the greatiest sith on the net, As for Spinning Reels, I don't know ,All I use is AMBASSADEUR,...........

3. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i would go with a okuma bait runner or a shimano baitrunner

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    From the ones I have seen and used I am stuck on the Shimano Baitrunner 6500.

It will hold about 170 yards of 25# mono and is one of the few spinning reels with a baitclicker function. It's baitclicker is smooth as silk and fully adjustable too. It basically switches to a secondary drag setting which is much lighter.

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i use a Quantum Optix open face spinning reel... i love it... its super smooth with 4 ball bearings, comes with a second spool... its a big reel too, so it doesn't look tiny on an 8 foot rod... it casts really nice... i can get about 100 yards with about 2oz of lead and a hand sized bluegill if i try... but most of the time the bluegill will fall off casting that hard... its made for ocean fishing, so you know it will work on cats... you can get one at walmart for like 30 or 40 dollars... i think i paid 35 for min...

6. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    oh... almost forgot... welcome to the boc and congrats on your first post.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Okuma Baitrunners Are Nice.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't care for the Okuma they just didn't hold up for me in past. I have not used the Shimano but I do Like and will recommend the Diawa sealine 5050 live liner I have had mine for a couple of years and use them in both salt and fres water and have had no problems with them ever And brother I fish a lot.

9. catfishinmagician

catfishinmagician New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Check out the Shimano 6500 or 4500 baitrunner. If you're running 25 lb. mono, go with the 6500, if you're running braid, the 4500 would be perfect. Just depends on the length, action, and the length of the butt section on the rod; don't want it to not be balanced. Also, one of the penn spinfisher 650, 750, or 850 SSM serues would do the job. The baitrunners run $110 to $120, the spinfishers run about $100 to $140. I personally like the Baitrunners better. Very solid reel. Good if you do any surf fishing as well.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A shimno 4500 baitrunner would be great, followed by an Okuma exipor baitfeeder.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is the pic of the Okuma exipor baitfeeder EB MODEL 65....This reel has the best drag of any spinning reel I have used, and it will handle 25-lb test easily.

Attached Files:

12. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I agree with flathunter but, at Cabelas you can get a salt striker baitfeeder which is the exact same reel as the okuma epixor and it is made by okuma but about 10 or 15 bucks cheaper than the okuma model. I have both the epixor and the salt striker and they are the exact same reel except for the color. Good luck!:smile2:

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Joe,

You may want to give the "Shimano Baitrunner" a shot. I have one and it's a very good spinning reel. It has a "Freeline System" & a nice "Clicker" on it. I love it. Here's is a photo of the one that I have.
    :0a23:
    Take it easy Buddy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

Attached Files:

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Joe.I do not know your needs as far as line capacity or corrosion resistance.You may or may not need a reel for occasional salt water trips and use.I am 61.In my judgment,I have found that gear made for saltwater use seems to be built sturdier and last longer than gear made for fresh water alone.I have the Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner TWS70FL spinning reel.Mono.line capacity is 220 yds./20 lb.test.It is a $50.00 bait feeder type reel made for salt water use.I also have the Okuma Coronado CD90's.Mono.line capacity is 500 yds./20 lb.test.400 yds./25 lb.test and 330 yds./30 lb.test.It is a aprox.$80.00 baitfeeder type reel made for salt water use.They have almost twice the reel capacity of the Shimano 6500.They have 3 stainless steel sealed ball bearings and 1 stainless steel roller bearing.They have stainless steel drive and pinion gears.The reel and drag is sealed with rubber gaskets.I found the spare spools,complete with drag to be much cheaper than Penn or Shimano bare spools.I check things such as this when I am interested in gear.It seems to handle my 60 to 80 lb.sharp shell fishing.mono.very well along with the smaller lines.They have seen very limited use as I am not able to fish much.They do seem to be sturdy reels well worth their price.I expect my children and grandchildren to get many years of use out of them.Luck,peewee-williams

15. gmhudak

gmhudak New Member

State:
    Enon Valley, PA
    dont forget the mitchell 302- relatively inexpensive on ebay and :byebye: you cant beat them and welcome to the boc

16. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Joe, welcome to the BOC, you'll find that this is a great source of info for catfishing and general fishing. Good luck with the reel and let us know what you decide on.:0a25:

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    smokinjoe - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: I'm old school when it comes to spinning reels. I agree with gmhudak that the old French made Garcia Mitchell 302/402/302N/386/486/488 would be a good choice. I use these reels all the time. You can get a 302 on Ebay for around $25.00. No plastic inside these old classics!

18. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i like penns also but all of the reels mentioned would work. all you really need is a good drag system that is smooth and a decent amount of line capacity. if you take care of your reel then it should hold for a few good years. you could find a good deal at a yard sale ive seen plenty of nice cat reels for 10-20 and after a good cleaning they work very well.