Good smoked trout recipes?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by delawareriver, Apr 9, 2006.

1. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    any one know any good smoked trout recipes? me and my father caught a bunch of trout yesterday and always love smoked trout but we would like to try a new recipe.

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    that sounds so good, good luck

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Brine:
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup non-iodized salt
    2 cups soy sauce
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
    1 cup dry white wine
    Marinate in brine for 8 hours
    I use an electric smoker, but whatever you got fill the wood chip pan with hickory and apple wood chips and smoke a couple pans worth of chips or first 1 & 1/2 hour or so then let them dry in the smoker for 12 hours or until cured

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    smoked trout is good and that recipie is a good one there thats for sure just kinda very things for your liking ill see if i can dig up one of my old ones for ya.

5. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    I just use rocksalt and water to brine the fish at room temp for 12 hours. Then I smoke at 160 F or so for 10-12 hours. I have tasted some recipes that use sugar and other flavoring ingredients. Some taste a little better than mine, some not near as good. I just smoked a few whole salmon last night. I used Jack Daniels oak whiskey barrel chips, as I couldn't get ahold of any alder. Mmmmm! It is sooo good. Had some for breakfast. First time I used an electric, store bought smoker (just got it). I have always made my own smokers. The electric smoker used less than half as many wood chips, and really has just the right smoke flavor.

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    good to hear that it worked out for you. the fish are really started to build up in my freezer now. im gonna need to start the smoker up soon. i think i have 30 fish in the freezer. now that ive caught my moneys worth of fish to eat i catch and release all of the other fish.