Good setup? Penn 155 that is older than me!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, Jun 3, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I just inherited from my dad, a Penn 155 that is older than me, and an old 6ft rod that looks like it could be used as a boom on a tow truck, from what I can tell the maker of the rod is MARLIN, its kind of faded out.

Attached Files:

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The rod has wood grips on it, 3 guides and the tip, about a 1/4 thick at the end, maybe Gator can give me some insight on thisone

Aaron

TA2D

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice reel, it look like it will serve u well.

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Any ideas on what I should spool up with for line, I was thinking some kind of braid, not sure what kind though.

Aaron

TA2D

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

What a beast!

SudDawg

6. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Got one too. Aquired it and put it on a 7' medium ugly stick. Didn't know what kinda shape it was in, so I loaded it with leftover snagging line. I know that's overkill, but talk about smooth and sweet! It feels like it's new right out of the box. I figger on strippin it and using 50 or 60 lb braid.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I'll give you $25 for it....

:big_smile:

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Just pack it up and ship it here I will spool it for and treat it good.....LOL That is a good reel but not as old as you might think. That spool can out on the 155 some time aroung 1979. The earlier ones had a sliver colored spool and the first ones had a Bakelite spool.

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My dad got it while he was still in high school, and I think he graduated in 73 or 74 any info on the rod Gator?

Aaron

10. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    How does 80lb spiderwire sound to spool it up with? I was thinkin the 300 yd spool.

Aaron

TA2D

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    As far as the rod it is hard to say. I did check with Penn and they put that spool out if 75 so I stand corrected on that. as for the spider wire man that is up to you I just don't like braded lines as they caus damage to the guide on a rod under pressure.