Good Set Up

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishing is fun, Nov 27, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    im gonna keep this short,

i need a recomendation for a rod, reel, and what line to use on the setup
    i cant cast a baitcaster so they are out, and i need something that can be casted from the bank, but still is stout enough for big weights, thanks for the help

2. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I like to use med to heavy action 7' rod with a 6500 0r 6000 abu garcia reel with cajun advantage 30 lb line, and if you cant throw a bait caster just go out in the yard and tie a egg sinker on the end and practice, cause if you want something to handle heavy wieght that is what I think you need

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    probably the first thing I woud do is to learn all about bait casters. How they work, how they are disassembled/reassembled, and I would do it as quick as I can. From your pic your are a well set up young man, and if you have the desire, you can learn to cast a baitcaster fairly easy. However, if you don't want to do that, I'd find one of the heavier setups they sale at wal-marts which has a spinning reel, rod and line all ready together. That way they would be matched. Once I had the spinning outfit, i'd get a good abu and learn to cast it.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Ive been wanting to try one of the shakespere tiger combos at walmart they look like a great cheep combo in spinning and spinncast. for 20 bucks they should handle 20 pounders easy.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu 5000 or 6000 is a good reel to start with.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sounds to me like someone is puttin together a christmas wish list or was asked what they wanted. LOL!

7. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do you have a price limit to work within ? And what are you considering heavy weights ?

There are a lot of options as far as spinning gear for surf fishing goes that can handle some fair sized weights.

Last year I bought a pretty heavy duty combo on sale for $39. It's a Fenwick SeaHawk, 8 foot Medium Heavy rod, 12-25 pound line, 1-3 oz lure weight, with an Abu Garcia Cardinal 7 Bearing Spinning Reel.

Granted it's not the most robust thing out there, but it will handle quite a good sized fish.

As was mentioned, a baitcaster would be the way to go if you are serious about getting the trophy sized Blues or Flats. And, learning to cast one isn't that bad. It just takes some practice.

8. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i dont really have a price limit, but if the combo is gonna cost me like 500 bucks it will just be a while untill i can tell you how good the set up is working for me, if you get my drift, and also to me a "Big" weight is like 2-3oz.

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Marshall buy a 10ft rod and a 209 Penn with 50lb line.Learn to cast that 209 Penn and you can cast any weight you want to fish with and catch anything you get on the hook.

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

i have 2 of the spincast and 3 of the spinning, work just as good as most of my buddys high end reels and rods. i would recomend you to put new line on them tho, cuz if there the same ones i have the 20 pound mono that comes on it breaks almost as easy as 10 pound. and the memory is a big hassle to deal with on that cheap line they throw on there.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Check catfishconnection.com they have some good rigs already set-up. If you have some of the sporting goods stores near you go and put the rod and reels in your hand. One will feel better than the others to you. Check the rating on the rod if your chunking 3 ounce weight you might want to go with a rod rated for about 6 when you add the bait. I have some MH and Heavy spining combos that I like. the reels are Daiwa Sealine baitrunner 5050, the rods are a powertip, beefstick and Big Game.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I was the same way before I started using them. I wanted Hassle free fishing. and baitcasters seemed to much of hassle.. I was like why bother with the birdnesting, etc. After reading up on baitcasters though, I thought I'd give em a whirl... I practiced in the yard for bit right after I got it.. First few trips out with it, I took along spare spincast rigs incase I had too much trouble, I could swap out and enjoy the day... Wasn't really that hard to learn and they are all I use now. Don't expect to throw a country mile right off the bat, work your way up.. After you learn how to use one, you'll be extremely happy with it. The power and control you have over large fish is nite and day IMO.

If your really really deadset against trying to learn one, check out the Shimano baitrunners. They are highly rated by some of the folks here and several of my fishing buddies....

For rod, you'd be hard pressed to find something better than a ugly stick or even better, Ugly Stick Tiger (For big! Flathead). Though, there are several really good choices out there depending on budget.

Line, I like the Big Game 30# in solar green, but its all personal preference.....

13. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri

If price is no real object (you can get one heck of a set up for less than $500), your choices are almost unlimited.

Again, like almost everyone is suggesting, a good Ugly stick would be hard to beat and they are only $50-$60. For a reel, An Okuma, Shimano or Abu Garcia spinning rig that would be acceptable is available for $70-$90. Add on a good mono, copoly, or braided line and your only into for another $10-$20.

My personal preference given the choice, would be a baitcaster rig. An Ugly Stick with an Abu Garcia or a Penn baitcaster would only set up back about the same amount of money.

And again, don't be intimidated because you may not have experienced success with one in the past. You can learn to cast one, I pretty much guarantee that if you put in a little time with it practicing, it will come to you.

Just think that almost everyone that uses a baitcaster had to start somewhere and had to practice a little before getting comfortable with them. I know I did.

Here's a little tip in using them that has helped a number of folks I know that were learning to use casting reels.

Only start out with 30 or 40 yards of heavy (25 pound or better ) mono line on the reel. That makes the birds nests much easier to untangle. At first, only try to cast a short distance and start out casting side arm by lobing instead of trying to launch a country mile. The two things to concentrate on in the beginning are your thumb and the position of release. Don't worry at first about accuracy, that will come in due time. As your thumb gets educated you can increase the amount of line on the reel and your casting distance.

Also as was mentioned, if you are going to practice while on the water, bring your spinning gear as well. That way you can be fishing at the same time as practicing your casting.

14. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    hey guys thanks for the help, i just have one more question, ive been looking at big "conventional" reels in the saltwater section on basspro.com and i have noticed that alot of them do not have the thing on the front that runs the line back and forth to keep it even, also what is the differece between these "conventionals" and the ones under "baitcasters"

Thanks for the help
    Marshall

15. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    okay, one more question about these bait casters, someone reccommended the penn 209, and it looks like a good reel but dose it have a bait clicker?

thanks for the help
    Marshll

16. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes the Penn 209 does have a line out alarm clicker. I have one and would highly recommend them.

As far as conventional reels go, the main difference between one of those and what you are probably refering to as a baitcaster is the "level line" feature.

The level line device is the thing in the front of the reel that lays down your line evenly as you reel in.

I would recommend you not consider a conventional one until you have mastered a level line casting reel first. It would be just one more thing to have to worry about as you learn the casting method.

17. greg12345

greg12345 New Member

State:
    NC
    Learn how to cast a baitcaster. Just spool up some cheap heavy line, and set the spool tension high so there is less chance to backlash while you are learning how to thumb the spool. You can learn in an afternoon, no problem.

18. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use a 5500c on a seven foot ugly stik. But am fixing to upgrade to a Penn 310 on a seven foot Ugly Stik catfish rod. My best advice to you is learn to use a bait cating reel they can't be beat for winching out the big boys.

19. ironorr

ironorr New Member

State:
    Michigan
    If you go to the library section there is an article on "Learning to cast a baitcaster." It's an easy read and really helped me learn how to cast them. Try it out. Trust me, when you learn how to cast them, it'll have been worth it.

20. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    any of the penn are good reels,i nave a 9m,209,695 international,660 spin all great reals.the trick if found when learning to use a bait caster is to tighted the spool tention knob on the side of the reel enough that when you push the button(or flip the lever on a 209)that it doesnt start rolling line out,you have to bounce the sinker a little to get the spool to rotate,this will help keep the "birds nest" to a minimumuntill you get used to it then lessen the tention.