Good scope!!

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by silsbyj, Apr 30, 2008.

1. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im looking for a good scope for my Remington 700 .270. I really want something that wont break the bank and it doesnt have to spot martians on the moon either. Any input would be great!!

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    nikon pro staff or a buckmasters 3-9 or a 6-18 both round 300$ but lifetime guarentee and customer service is exclent.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i'd go with a burris or leopold.there cheaper models start around 200 bucks

5. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the tips guys. I have looked at Nikon and Leapold and really like them....too bad my eyes are too big for my wallet most of the time.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got a leupold Vari-XII and a Nikon Pro Staff. The pro staff seems to have more clarity and holds zero better from year to year. It's also under 200 bucks. I just recently purchased two Pentax scopes for my 308 and 7mm mag. I got the 1.5-6x for the 308 and 4-12x for the 7 mag. They both seem just as clear as the Nikon and have a lifetime warranty that beats pretty much all the other scopes I've seen. Both scopes also have the bullet drop reticles were you can sight in with the main cross hair, then range your target and use the correxponding marks on the reticle for the range the game is at. I got both of them at Midway for just around 270.00 with shipping.

I got them mounted and played with them around the house and out the window. I can't see any difference in clarity between it and my other scopes. I was going to go sight them in, but have to wait till the weather and my allergies allow. I'll try to remember to post something next week when I give them a try, but the biggest test will be this hunting season. You never know till it's time for that one shot!

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike,I have had really great luck with Tasco ,The World Class scopes are imho just as good as some of the higher priced Name Brands.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I always had good luck with the Tasco World Class scopes until this last year. I was shooting a rifle that had one on it and held the zero for three years. I took a dow last year at 60 yards and a nice buck at 250 yards. Then, when I took the shot at the antelope at 275, it started hitting 50 YARDS to the left! Never know when they're gonna go out on ya. Bad thing is that antelope is a once in a lifetime draw hunt in this state!

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im thinking of replacing the scope on my 30/06. Right now it has a 4-12x bushnell sportsman scope on it. Way too much scope for my normal shooting but I have a hard time replacing it without really needing it. Its held it zero for the last 3-5 years or so maybe more and it came with a lifetime warranty. Ive never tried the nikons, leupolds or other pricey scopes. They do seem clearer though. So far I have no real need for one as long as my much cheaper bushnell scope holds up, I think I paid $70 for it.

10. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    tasco is junk IMO, unless you are going to use on a 22 or a gun with low recoil then they arnt to bad for the $.for a gun with moderate to heavy recoil i would go with LEUPOLD havn't ever used nikon but i'm sure they are pretty good also

11. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    been really pleased with my vx-1 4 by 12. Cost 269.00

12. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I've had good luck with Tasco but I tend to use the Bushnell 3x9 and 4x12
    scopes with really good luck and they have always held their zero once set in.
    I like the ones with the bullet drop comp on them. For a cheap scope like you are wanting you can't beat them. I have bought several from garage sales and thrift stores that have been beat up and they fixed them for postage sending them and a $5.00 bill.

13. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
  14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, like I said, I'd re-post after giving the Pentax Gameseekers a good ringing out. I also now have two 3x9 pentaxes with the bullet drop reticle on a new 25-06 and new 7mm mag. These things are the best buy for the money I've seen in years! After all the rounds fired through all of them, they've not lost zero and are just as clear as my Nikon and Leupold VX-II. I've got several hundred rounds through all of them combined, some more than others, and haven't had to adjust zero yet except for sighting in different loads. Once it's dialed in to a load,it seems to hold it.

I paid 99.00 each for the 3X9s, 120.00 for the 1.5X6s, and 140.00 for the 4X12. For most of my hunting were there are alot of woods, I like the 1.5X6 the best. For my open country hunting out west, I am liking the higher power ones.

I also like the way the bullet drop reticle is made on the gameseekers for a range finder. It's easy to use. Just set the scope on 6X, put the center crosshair on the the heart, and which ever line tip touches the tail, that's what yard it is, hold and shoot.

15. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've had really good luck with Burris Fullfield II Riflescopes, the 3 X 9 X 40 can be found for about $169.00. I've an old Burris Fullfield 1 3/4 X 5 thats been on my Ruger 30/06 since both were new in 1975 and both still work as good as new, they are a little battle scared, but work fine.

16. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I used a Simmons 44mag scope on a Rem 700 30-06 with no problems until someone kicked my door in and decided they needed it more than me.:angry: I still use them on a Rem 700 280 and a 270 with no problems. The scope is a 3x10x44 and runs about $150. It also picks up light real well in the mornings and evenings.

17. doug300wsm

doug300wsm New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use this scope and have not had any problems. It runs for around $225.00

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Another vote for leupold or burris here. It doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a high dollar rifle then go cheap on the scope.

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use a low profile 3x9 redfield but if i was gonna buy one it would be Burris or Nikon i think. Like johnny said theres no need in dumpin a pile of $$$ on a rifle and put something inadequate on it. Lots of good optics on the market just be sure and get a warrany. The recoil of a 30 caliber will test a cheap scope quick.

20. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    well if ya run across some extra cash to boot id recommend the leupold vx-L 3.5-10x56. i love mine. talk about drawing light if theres any there it will pick it up.