Good Sat Morning Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by riverdawg-1, Nov 22, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    This morning me, my buddy Kevin and Billie, Flathead Willie, hunted some property that I haven't been on in over 10 years. It was loaded with deer and turkey. Me and Billie both killed does.
    Chip

2. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    dam, how many freezers billie got

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    He does it every year. Think he keeps some cooking on the Q every day, year round. LOL.
    Congrats fellas.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Way to go guy's :roll_eyes:

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Nothing wrong with a freezer full of venison...... Congrats.

6. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm glad you had a good Sat. morning. I had a good one as well.
    There had been shooting all around me since before daylight and I'm wondering to my self, since there has been no shooting here the deer ought to think this place is safe. About 8:00 two young ones came by my stand. I was really out for just such an opportunity - young tender venison - the wife said so. The first one got to a 25 yd. broad side shot and I took it. This little booger took off like a rocket. I'm thinking to my self (again), just how in the hell did I miss this deer. I had just tweeked my Omega in the day before. I stood up and turned around (the way the deer went), still thinkin', Now I'm gonna have to get down out of this stand and go track this damn deer. The I see a leg waving above some brush. One down. The other young one didn't take off and I tried to get my rifle loaded again.
    I had a bad batch of bullets last year that were hard to near impossible to load. I changed the 777 pellets in my speed loader but forgot about the bad bullets. The danged thing got stuck about 3 inches down the barrel. Needless to say I didn't get that second deer.
    I dressed, tagged and covered the first one for later removal and went to the house. Cleared the barrel of the stuck bullet, punched the tube a couple of times and reloaded with my new batch of 250 gr. Shockwaves. I gave it about 45 min. to settle down at the stand and went back.
    Around 10:45 two more young ones came in behind me from my rear left. I stood up, turned around, leaned around the tree to the left, got the cross hairs on his chest and put him down. Just as before, the second one didn't take off very far and came back. That gave me just enough time to recharge my rifle. She stopped just long enough to get my crosshairs on the base of her neck and she went down to. Now I'm thinkin' " Good grief! I've just killed three @#$%^& deer. THREE @#$%^& DEER! I've never done that before. All three were within 30yds of my stand and all three died within 25 yds of each other. 3 of'em dressed and ready for hanging by 11:00.
    Now my freezer is full and I still have my buck tag. All and all I've got to say that I had a hell of a good opening day.

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I went back to the same place we hunted ywserday. Saw 11 deer, a spike, 6 and 8 pointer, and 8 does. I was wanting to get a big buck, I already have 5 in the freezer, I let deer walk by me all day. About 45 minutes before dark a big doe and a 6 pointer passed above me about 100 yards. My buddy Kevin shot and missed the doe 3 times. I called him and told him there was a buck about to come his way, He told me he was out of bullets. Needless to say I now have a 6 pointer hanging. All in all a great day. I think it was 25 deer I saw there in 2 days.
    Chip

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    This one went to a friend that doesn't hunt. The next one will go to an old couple I know that lat me hunt on their place. I haven't hunted there in a few years but I still give them a deer every year.This place Chip took me to was just full of deer from the time we got there. It's very thick and there are trails all over the place. It sounded like the turkeys were having a huge party as soon as the sun came up. They were making so much noise, it was hard to hear the deer walking by. LOL

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Pile em up like cord woods boys. Ain't nothing like huntin new ground. Congrats

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Haha! Ain't nothing wrong with that!!:wink:

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, tonight it's tenderloin simmered in Cream Of Mushroom soup w/red and green bell peppers, with smashed taters, green beans, and corn.
    I usually eat six deer a year. I have a blood disorder so I'm not supposed to eat red meat. Venison has 1/7 the iron of beef so I can eat all of that I want. Luckily, I live in a state where I can kill all the deer I want. For $18.50 we get six deer tags, (3 bucks & 3 Does) plus 5 turkey and a Bear. After that we can buy bonus tags (2 Doe tags) for $12.00, and buy as many of those as we want. I know people that have Damage Permits that allow them to remove deer year round. We also have an Urban archery season the runs from Sept. thru Feb. All that and we still can't seem to keep the deer populations down.