Good rods for crappie fishing

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by CountryCarp14, Jun 29, 2006.

1. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have a zebco rod but i dont think it is to good:big_smile:

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i got a shakespere ultra light from wally world i like it....
    i dont see why it wouldnt be a good crappie pole if it is a good bluegill pole

or u could get into flyfishing:smile2: :smile2:

3. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for the info man...it should help a lot

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just picked up an IM6 7.5' ultralight pole that looks like it work wonderfully for crappie. I'll find out next time I am out. The Ugly Stik I was using wasn't really doing me much good, but only because it is way too short.

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i got a shakespeare microspin from walmart and man thats the best bluegill/crappie rod i have ever used.

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    that is what i got.... is it really short mine is

but i got a couple of rapalas that are too small to use with anything else.....

im glad i got it

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I had a 4'6 shakespeare outfit from wally world. Broke it when I snagged up and the drag was too tight :embarassed: a week ago . Got a 6' UL replacement Bass pro shops rod, better. I have a 7'6 UL BPS and that is my favorite crappie rod. I also have a 5' Ugly Stik Lite Pro I got from wally world, my first ultralight and has caught thousands of bluegills and crappies in 6 years of hard use, still good as new.

8. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I got a Berkley Cherrywood rod (7') at wally world and put a ultralite on it and works fine for bank fishing for bluegill or crappie. Like a shorter rod when boat fishin.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

all five of my ultralights are St Croix rods with micro light are micro light spinning reels bought them all at the same time on sale for about 12 dollars a set about 4 years ago and have not had any trouble with ant of them I clean and lube them once a year and change the line out every year and as needed during. sorry the rods go from 4 foot through 6 foot. I use two 12 foot graphite canes poles also when bank fishing.

10. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have and like the cherry-wood lite action rods, great jig pole.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have an ulltra light 4"6 All Star rod that I love. it's rated for up to 4#'s. I also like the 5"6 St Croix Premier light action rods (think they are rated for up to 6#'s.) Both are good. If you were looking for something less in price than those ($50-60) I would recomend a light action ugly stick. In my opinon there are tons of good crappie/bluegills rods though. I even bought a cheaper priced $12 Shakespeare rod from Wallmart once & loved it.

Bass Pro also has some very nice light action rods that are usually priced in the $20-29 range.

12. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    ultra light i have some type of shakespeare rod its 5'ft and it was right around 35.00 dollars at wally world. and its equpped with a mitchell 310x reel. and the kids have the zebco11 with the z glass rods.

13. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks yall it will info help

14. jim701

jim701 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a 4'6" and a 5'6" cherrywood from wal-mart and have no complaints.

15. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i gots a zebco micro spin i love it. it keeps me busy while waiting for the big ones! :lol:

16. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i use super ultralite poles, or my fly rod....i would order a cabellas catalog, they have a great selection. cabellas.com

17. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Love my St. Croix rods!!!!!!!!! I use a 7 foot ultralight and it also doubles as my dip bait pole for catfishing. Reels are anything from Shimano!!!!! LOL!!!!!! Spirex, Symetre, Sedona all of these are great for panfishing/catfishing combos, I prefer the Symetre myself, especially the new 750. God bless.